We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego Wild Animal Park - Caravan tour?

SW England
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
San Diego Wild Animal Park - Caravan tour?

Hi there, I was wondering if anybody has been on the SD WAP Caravan photo tour and if it's worth the $90 for the 1.75 hour tour? Because we have to pay for the entry ticket on top of that I'm wondering if anybody has experience of it before I shell out for 2 tours. Is it much better than the standard 'best value' ticket experience for example? Would appreciate any comments. Thanks!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,669 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego Wild Animal Park - Caravan tour?

YES, It is a MUCH more interesting experience!! We took guests from NYC last year and they loved it. We chose the giraffes( we had choice of giraffes or rhinos) and we were able to hand feed them leaves.

It was really wonderful!

You might also check the price of a one year membership which comes with 1 free entrance pass for an adult. That might come out less expensive. Not sure.

SW England
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego Wild Animal Park - Caravan tour?

Ih thanks so much for replying it's so good to get other people's experiences, I really appreciate it. Yes we were thinking of doing the giraffe one as well :)

Escondido...
Level Contributor
143 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego Wild Animal Park - Caravan tour?

I haven't taken the standard photo caravan tour yet, but I have taken one of the specialty tours. During February and in the summer they offer the Night Moves tour that is similar to the caravan tour except that it includes a naturalist who goes into a lot of detail on the lives of the animals you see. SPecifically, they discuss the sex life of the rhinos and the giraffes and it is quite interesting. This tour also includes a stop for drinks and snacks and a video presentation on rhinos and their mating habits. It's an AMAZING tour and it was definitley worth the opportunity to get up close to the animals, take wonderful photos and feed and pet the rhinos and giraffes. I plan to do the standard caravan tour one of these days, but the special tours really are special. They aslo have a deluxe tour that is the same type of tour as the Night Moves, without the focus on the sex life. Interestingly, the Deluxe tour is $150 and the Night moves is $120. With Night Moves, it's also an adult only experience.

As far as the value. If you just go to the Wild Animal Park, you'll do lots of walking and see animals and you'll take the tram around to areas where the animals are running free. You'll have a really nice time for $35 each. BUT, if this is going to be your only visit to the park, I would definitly spend the extra money to do the caravan tour, particularly if you want to get up close and personal to the animals, because when will you have that opportunity again?

Also, if you are ONLY going to the Wild Animal Park and only once, the membership probably wouldn't be as good of a value as the best value package, but if you plan to spend additional time in the area and plan to also go to the San Diego Zoo as well, the membership would be a value because it is good for both parks and is $94 for two people.

Hope this helps and have a great time!

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
57 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego Wild Animal Park - Caravan tour?

I'm interested in the $90 Family Caravan tour but am curious what the $150 tour has to offer other than it's longer in time. Seems like they both go to the same places. My girls are 10 and 12 and we love the girraffes. Thought it'd be a great splurge for daughters' birthday. Any ideas on best tour to take??

Escondido...
Level Contributor
143 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Diego Wild Animal Park - Caravan tour?

HI there. Actually, the difference between the $90 and the $150 caravans is that the $90 one goes EITHER to the African section or the Asian section, where the $150 one goes to BOTH as well as the deluxe one being twice the length. The $150 deluxe caravan also includes a stop for snacks, which may or may not include additional educational information at the snack site. I think if you like giraffe's the best, be sure to do the African tour if you don't do the deluxe one. I don't think they do giraffe feeding on the Asian side, although I could be mistaken. You should ask at the park which will get you closer to the giraffes. I have to admit, though,t he Rhinos are very cool and you see those on both sides. Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

6. Re: San Diego Wild Animal Park - Caravan tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2010, 07:16