We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions re: San Diego wild animal Park, please help

Which Escondido hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aurora, IL
5 posts
Save Topic
Questions re: San Diego wild animal Park, please help

My husband and I are planning a trip out that way in April 2010 (just us, no kids). We are looking at the Southern California City Pass ticket option, which includes admission to a number of places, and Gray Line bus service to get around. I know the package only includes either San Diego Zoo or Wild Animal Park. We're hoping we can see Sea World, the zoo and wild animal park in 2 days, as that is all the bus package includes, and we'd like to avoid 3 days of travel to San Diego. We're happy to pay for admission to both parks, as we'd like to see both, but here are my questions regarding transportation and length of time at each park:

-Can both the zoo and wild animal park be comfortably done in one day to see everything?

-Can you walk to Wild Animal Park from the zoo (the bus service in the package drops off and picks up at the zoo only, this is why I ask).

-If the zoo and park can't be done in one day, what about Sea World and the wild animal park? We're fine taking a cab from one to the other.

Thanks!!

Aurora, IL
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions re: San Diego wild animal Park, please help

OK, I already answered my own question about walking distance (clearly, they are NOT within walking distance :o) Can you tell I've never been there? But my other questions still apply about fitting 2 into one day. One other question- what would cabs approximately cost between the wild animal park and sea world/san diego zoo?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,767 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions re: San Diego wild animal Park, please help

NO , you cannOT do the zoo and Wild Animal Park in one day. Not sure you need to do both anyway just because it is included in the ticket.

The 2 places are at least 40min. apart. Some people take an entire day to see the zoo although we usually spend 1/2 a day and then some time in Balboa Park where the zoo is located. San Diego has a lot more to offer adults than just animal parks!!! When will you have time to see the city??

Aurora, IL
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions re: San Diego wild animal Park, please help

We are actually planning a trip to Disneyland, and found this ticket package that includes San Diego Zoo or Wild Animal Park. We've heard good things about both and would like to see both if possible. The trip isn't exclusively to San Diego. We'll be staying in Anaheim.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,767 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions re: San Diego wild animal Park, please help

Do I understand that you will be staying in Anaheim for the whole trip??

That WOULD make it a pain to drive back and forth so many times but that's why many folks spend a few days in Anaheim and a few in San Diego.

The drive from Anaheim to the zoo and downtown San Diego is about 1 1/2 hrs with NO traffic. It is just about the same(maybe 1 1/4 hrs) to Sea World.

I understand a little better now although I am sorry but I cannot think of a good plan for you .

Aurora, IL
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions re: San Diego wild animal Park, please help

We haven't made a final decision about anything yet, but thought it would be easiest to stay in Anaheim, rather than making a hotel switch. We weren't going to rent a car either, just take the bus from the airport to the hotel ,and then use Gray Line, which is part of the City Pass ticket package. The package includes admission to Disneyland (3 days) and 1 day each to Universal, Sea World, and either San Diego Zoo or Wild Animal Park. Gray Line picks you up right from your hotel. This is why we thought staying in one place would be easiest, and back to the original question of whether it would be feasible to go to the Wild Animal Park one of the 2 days we go to San Diego for Sea World or the Zoo.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,767 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions re: San Diego wild animal Park, please help

IF you are taking the Greyline tour from your Anaheim hotel to either Sea World OR the zoo then you will NOT be able to also go to the Wild Animal Park.

It is toooo far away from both of them. Also you'd need to be back at the original drop off so Greyline could take you back to Anaheim. It is a tour not a regular bus that comes and goes all day on a schedule.

Sorry that was not clear to you.

Aurora, IL
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions re: San Diego wild animal Park, please help

Oh I knew that, I've taken Gray Line before, just never this package. This is why in my original post I said we'd be happy to take a cab from one place to the other, and then back again to catch the bus, if it would work out to fit 2 into one day.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,767 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions re: San Diego wild animal Park, please help

taxi =27miles X$3+ per mile= about $85+$3+ to start + tip=somewhere around $$96-$100 each way

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
134 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions re: San Diego wild animal Park, please help

In my opinion I would skip the zoo and go to sea world and the wild animal park. I personally think the wild animal park is much rewarding since you can see animals interacting together and in large areas of land. Whereas in the zoo the animals are all caged and look unhappy. Plus last time I was at the zoo they were doing tons of construction and a lot of the animals weren't even in their cages for viewing.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,537 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions re: San Diego wild animal Park, please help

Aurora, I understand completely what you're trying to do. You're on vacation and you'd rather have someone else do the driving. But in the case of your proposed itinerary, the two cities (Anaheim and San Diego) are 90 minutes apart (without traffic). Add to that, the time it will take grayline to stop at all of the hotels and pick up/drop off everyone. So, that's at least 2 hours in each direction (actually longer because once you're picked up, you're taken to a central dispatch point,where you line up for the different tours.

If it were me, I'd rent a car for a couple of days and drive to San Diego for one night. If you start in the early morning, you can accomplish all three of your destinations (the animal park on the way in to SD, followed by Sea World and then the Zoo on the following day). Stay near Balboa Park and you can either walk to the zoo or have a short drive to it. Enjoy Balboa Park -- RELAX. The park has a lot to offer, dining, theaters, museums, etc.

Yes, you'll have to pack/unpack an additional time but it's not as if you'll have to park very well since you're simply putting your clothes in the car and taking them out later. (Grab a couple of grocery sacks for the 'unpackable items"; you can even buy some cheap hangers and just transport your "hangables" that way. You'll have a much better time if you're not wasting so much time waiting for buses, lining up for buses and waiting for taxis. Trust me. Southern California is a car society.