We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Eureka Inn closed? Renamed?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
257 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is Eureka Inn closed? Renamed?

What's the scoop on this? I've read a zillion positive things about it but the website link doesn't work and the phone mail box is full. Please advise!

Assuming it IS closed down, can you recommend a place that costs under $100 for a family of 4 within 25 miles of Eureka?

Eureka, CA
Level Contributor
310 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Eureka Inn closed? Renamed?

Sadly, the historic Eureka Inn closed a couple of years ago. From time to time there have been rumors of its planned resuscitation, but nothing has happened. We miss the grand old dame.

What kind of accommodations are you looking for (other than your budgetary limitations)? Are you interested in north of Eureka, south of Eureka? Tell us more and we'll put you onto a few choices. (I'm assuming you've already checked out the responses to "Historic Digs at Historic Prices".)

Redondo Beach, CA
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Eureka Inn closed? Renamed?

Sorry to but in, but I am driving from LA to Portland, and "desperatly" need some suggestions for stops along the road from SF to Portland, and moderately priced places to stay, maybe with one splurging exeption. Help me too? :)

thanks

Redondo Beach, CA
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Eureka Inn closed? Renamed?

Also, I am new to trip advisor, so I don't know where to look for "Historic Digs at Historic Prices"

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
257 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Eureka Inn closed? Renamed?

Thanks, Bed of Roses, for your earlier suggestions. The lookout towers are something we will enjoy in the future. They're just not where I want to be on this trip. Great idea, though.

The Hostel is a strong possibility for the northern part of the Redwoods, but I also want something on the southern end near the Samoa Cookhouse. Fern Motel just seems sort of boring based on their website, you know what I mean?

I have champagne tastes and a soda pop budget, I guess. So can you think of someplace down around Eureka that's cool but cheap? :-)

SOFSOF - go to the Forum tab, then select California forums, then Eureka forums. My post is there. Or else just search in the box for "historic digs" - I'll bet it pulls it up.

Redondo Beach, CA
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Eureka Inn closed? Renamed?

Thanks,

I would also like very much to get Eureka or any other suggestions from inabedofroses.

Eureka, CA
Level Contributor
310 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Eureka Inn closed? Renamed?

HalfIrish Rover, working on it...

sofof, for the moment, check out this forum's "Seeing the redwoods in November." It's a long thread with a lot of suggestions for folks visiting this area. When you work your way through that, if you'll give me some idea of your interests/parameters for travel in the Eureka-to-Brookings area, we'll see what we can do.

Eureka, CA
Level Contributor
310 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Eureka Inn closed? Renamed?

HalfIrishRover, given that you want something historic and interesting in the vicinity of the Samoa Cookhouse, I recommend you consider the Eagle House Victorian Inn in Eureka's Old Town<http://www.eaglehouseinn.com>. Though their off-season rate for a family of four (quoted on the phone this evening) is $125 plus tax, a bit above your budget, they do offer charm, comfort, and historical interest. Also, Gallagher's Irish Pub is right downstairs.

Redondo Beach, CA
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Eureka Inn closed? Renamed?

inabedofroses,

You are really a wealth of information and so helpful to people. I did read the thread you sent me to, and learned quite a lot. To be honest, I feel I am on information overload right now., not just from that thread, but from reading so much, and many conflicting opinions. I am hoping you can get me straight on some things, inabedofroses. :)

Here's our time table. We're hoping to try and zoom to Napa or around that area from the LA's South Bay in one day, next Saturday. We'll stay 2 nights and leave that area on Monday lunch time or so. We need to be in Portland on Friday afternoon at the latest. How do we make an interesting trip out of it, without drving more than 3 or so hours a day, is the question. Is it even doable without rushing? We're also driving back, so we can stop in defferent places on the way home, but first I'd like to know if you think it's enough time. I don't want to get up at the crack of dawn on my vacation, so do you think that we can still make it a leisurly trip on our time table? (and if so - h e l p please with some ideas)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
257 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Eureka Inn closed? Renamed?

Bed of Roses,

YOU ROCK! We'll be toasting to you at Gallagher's Irish Pub, lass. I was pretty grumpy last year, thinking that Irish and UK lodgings were far more expensive than American ones. I've had to readjust my thinking on this. If anything, the Europeans are more accommodating to children, offer family rooms and less costly rates (still spendy, especially with the crummy exchange rates).

But, hey! Ireland doesn't have Redwoods the last time I looked. And they could sure do with cooking like you find in Eureka. :)

SOFSOF - I'll post our finalized itinerary in the California forum so you can see if any of it works for you. We're doing a very similar trip for part of the time. Have fun and stop stressing. It will all come together.

Eureka, CA
Level Contributor
310 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Eureka Inn closed? Renamed?

sofsof, here's a handy trip calculator tool:

www.wildtexas.com/howfar,php

Plug in the "from" and "to" and it will give you miles and (average) travel time. When you've established a few alternate scenarios of intermediate destinations (waypoints), then let's talk again. Or if you want suggestions of which towns along the way might be worth a look-see, we can do that too.

How many in your party? What's your budget? What's your preferred travel style?