We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter help

Singapore
Level Contributor
168 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Winter help

Hi all,

some of you may have seen my previous posts last week.

I will be in USA 28th Dec to 13th Jan, and it will be a road trip, something like this:

LA - Palm Springs - Arizona - Las Vegas - Salt Lake - Boise - Portland - Eureka - San Francisco

From my previous posts last week, I have managed to gather some advise and warnings for driving during winter, especially from Salt Lake - Boise - Portland, which are regarded as dangerous and risky during winter.

Lately I saw on the news that there are some serious snow storms in USA causing deaths and serious accidents, mainly NY area and also Oregon area. This is making me a little scared.

1) Come Jan, will it usually be better or worse? Is Jan the month where it usually snows the heaviest? Or is it the month where it gets better?

2) Do you guys suggest I replan my itenery? If so, please suggest what I can do from 28 Dec to 13th Jan. I will touch down in LA and will be taking a plane back from San Francisco, that is for sure. What can I do in between if my current plan is considered dangerous?

3) We are renting a car, and they do not allow us to put chains, which makes the situation even scarier?

Thanks guys!

Eureka, CA
Level Contributor
310 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter help

1) Dec. Jan. Feb. are the winter months that carry the greatest possibility of snow heavy enough to disrupt travel in the far Western and Northwestern states.

2) There's a reason they call them "snowbirds," those who live in wintry climes but opt to go south for those months. Perhaps you should consider doing likewise? Would something like this interest you? (You'll be in easy driving distance of it, given your plans to touch down in LA.) cnn.com/2007/…index.html

Also, the coast of California and up into Oregon offers world-class scenery with little chance of snow. You may encounter rain and fog, and certainly will drive winding roads in many places, but the vistas, the lodging, and the food should be well worth it.

No matter what itinerary you settle on, calculate your time and distance using one of the available online mileage calculators, such as www.wildtexas.com/travel-calculator.php Most non-natives tend to underestimate the vastness of the United States. And do be aware that gasoline is currently selling for $3.59 a gallon for regular in Eureka, California. The rest of the nation might be a little lower, but not much.

If, after considering all the above, you decide you still want a long winter road trip that might take you into areas prone to snow, be sure to stay on major arteries, avoiding shortcuts at all costs. A San Francisco family recently tried to take a shortcut to the Oregon coast using dirt roads only passable in summer; their trip had a fatal outcome for the father of the family.

2. Re: Winter help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 11:23