We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

must see places

Arizona
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
must see places

I am planning a trip with my 21 year old son to Eureka. It has been a life long dream of mine to see the redwoods. Can anyone tell me the absolute must see spots? I am not sure if the Humbodlt State Park or Redwoods State Park is better to see or should I get to both? Also wondering, is the Lost Coast worth the drive? What about a drive to Cresent City. Anything up there?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: must see places

Stating the obvious: Avenue of the Giants.

In Eureka, don't miss the Carson House.

Take you large appetites to the Samoa Cookhouse.

Take a look around Ferndale.

gp1
Eureka, California
Level Contributor
613 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: must see places

Hi Kaibob

How much time are you talking about? Are you flying into Arcata/Eureka or driving from SFO or Arizona?

Camping or Motels? Want to hike?

Must see: A day in Bull Creek, fern canyon, Jed Smith State Park.

See both Humboldt State Park and Redwoods State and National Park and Jed Smith State Park

Lost Coast is worth the drive.

Jed Smith is outside of Crescent city.

You will not see redwoods in Ferndale, the cookhouse or at the Carson Mansion.

I spend a bit of time in the groves up here, it is my hobby. Give us some more information and we can give more advice.

Have Fun

GP

Redding, California
Level Contributor
134 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: must see places

Driving the Avenue of the Giants and believing you've seen the redwoods is like driving across the Golden Gate Bridge, down Van Ness Avenue and onto the 101 South freeway and believing you've seen San Francisco. To experience the redwoods you MUST get off the Avenue, out of your car and walk. To see the finest remaining stand of old growth redwoods take the Honeydew exit off the Avenue of the Giants and drive into the Rockefeller Forest. 1.3 miles down the Honeydew road watch for a narrow little road on the left that makes a very steep drop down into a parking area along the river. Walk that loop trail through the cathedral of redwoods and you will meet God face to face. Continue on the Honeydew Road to the former townsite of Bull Creek, Honeydew, Petrolia, along the beach to Ferndale and back to 101 and you will have a most memorable day.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,889 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: must see places

Good info in the previous two posts. I spend a fair amount of time in that area since I have family there.

How much time do you have?

What sorts of things do you both like to do? If you love to hike, there are some awesome hikes. If you prefer driving and seeing scenery, there are some awesome drives, too!

There is some beautiful countryside around Crescent City, a pretty little lighthouse and a great drive on a dirt road through big redwoods (Jed Smith SP). Between Eureka and Crescent City is some of the most breathtaking scenery anywhere in the US.

You can do a RT as a day trip, though. Using the freeway section of Hwy 101, it's just 90 minutes to Crescent City. You could then look around there a bit, then come back on the Newton P Drury Scenic Parkway, stop and look at the elk, stop in Orick to browse the wood carvings ...

When are you planning to visit?

If you are into Victorian gingerbread houses, do drive by and look at the Carson Mansion. It's private, so all you can do is look. Ferndale is also worth an hour or so if this is your interest.

Samoa Cookhouse - we used to go there all the time, but then they began to go downhill. Last time I was there (summer 2006), it looked quite run down all around it, and although it was lunchtime on a weekend, there were only two cars there.

What are your opinions on it, gp1 and fogSKP?

Kaibob, here are some websites which may help:

shannontech.com/ParkVision/…Redwood.html

www.redwood.national-park.com/sights.htm#dri

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: must see places

Lost Coast is an indeed a nice drive if not a heavy fog day. It takes you through some spectacular country to the coast where a most lovely sheep ranch borders the spectacular coast. Then through a couple of tiny hamlets Capetown &

Petrolia, then Honeydew including a general store & a B & B or two then you have the choice of heading down to Shelter Cove on a rough road then to Garborville on 101 or heading East through The Rockefeller state Forest back to 101.

In Eureka Old Town is a great area with shops, cafes old Inns (The Eagle House is my favorite)& night spots.

Eureka, CA
Level Contributor
309 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: must see places

If you do visit Old Town in Eureka, be sure to walk a couple of blocks and see Flatmo's mural on the back of the Arkley Center for the Performing Arts. It's his most spectacular achievement yet.

7. Re: must see places

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 03:16