We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sonoma to Crescent city

Which Eureka hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Sonoma to Crescent city

We are intending to travel from Sonoma to Vancouver in August. We will be leaving Sonoma on the Tuesday and hope to be in Vancouver by Friday. Is this possible???? Only three nights, thinking of stops about Eureka, Eugene and Olympia. Any suggestions re routes and accommodation would be gratefully appreciated. We will have 7 nights coming back south to Crater Lake so hope to do the coast and the sight seeing then.

gp1
Eureka, California
Level Contributor
590 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sonoma to Crescent city

Hi Calicolodge

Please give us some more detail about your trip. Vancouver Canada or Vancouver Washington? What is your planned route on the way up 101 to 199 to 5? Are you starting in the town of Sonoma? If you just want to get up to Vancouver Canada why not just drive 5 and by pass 101 completely. 5 is much faster but less scenic. Why are doing this trip are there thing you want to see? Give us more information and maybe we can help.

Have Fun

GP

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sonoma to Crescent city

Hi

Yes 101, 199 to 5 looks like what we will do to Vancouver Canada from Sonoma town. Have travelled 5 from Mt Shasta before so want to look at something different. It is the three nights only that concerns us. We are not really into fast but if we have to that is the way we will go. Just looking for some guidance.

Zippy at Calico Lodge

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,885 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sonoma to Crescent city

Those three towns are probably about equal driving time from each other and Vancouver, BC - about 5-6 hours between each of them.

Eureka has a lot of motels. It is sort of a "noisy" city, though. Depending on what type and price range you are looking for, you may be better off going just a bit farther north to a smaller, quieter town called McKinleyville. It's off the freeway and has a Holiday Inn Express that gets very good reviews on TA.

Highway 101 and 199 are both two lane roads for the most part. Once you are on I-5, it's faster going.

Eugene has tons of motels. Many are clustered right near the freeway on Beltline Road. (Technically speaking it's Springfield, not Eugene). Let me see if I can remember them all: Shiloh (older), Quality, Super 8 Best Western (not wonderful), Courtyard by Marriott ... maybe one or two more. There are a number of restaurants right in the same area.

If you have more time on that travel day and want to go farther, Salem is one hour north of Eugene and also has many many motels. Most of them are clustered at the Market Street exit, with some of them off of Exit 252, which I think is Hwy 22. Comfort Suites, Phoenix Inn (always good), Shiloh, Black Bear ... I know there are more!

There are so many at each of these areas, I probably wouldn't bother with reservations. Once you are north of Cottage Grove, there are many motels along the freeway.

Same story for when you get up into Washington, from Olympia onwards, there are many motels near the freeway. The Phoenix Inn in Olympia is about 10 minutes off the freeway, by Capitol Lake, and is quite nice .

Eureka, CA
Level Contributor
308 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sonoma to Crescent city

Zippy, I would recommend the Best Western Bayshore (not the Humboldt Bay) Inn in Eureka. Ask for a room on the back, overlooking the bay. You will be very well served. Our out-of-town visitors always stay there and give it very positive reviews. No one has ever complained about the noise, although our visitors who stayed at the Bayview Inn did find that establishment noisy, since it is on a bluff that overlooks the 101. BW Bayshore, on the other hand, has rooms back off the road that look out on the bay.

With only a 6-hour drive from Sonoma, I'm assuming you'll want to do something more than just crash when you get in to your lodging. The advantage to staying in Eureka is that Old Town has some excellent restaurants, interesting shops, and a nice boardwalk on the bay.

Although the McKinleyville lodging that the previous poster mentioned is a nice property, it's way out at the ACV airport with nothing else around. Your only nearby dining option is the Silver Lining, upstairs in the airport terminal.

If I were making such a trip, I'd definitely overnight in Eureka.

From there I'd go up 101 to 199 and cut over to I-5 at Grants Pass, from whence it's a short shot to Eugene.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,885 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sonoma to Crescent city

>>" . . . it's way out at the ACV airport with nothing else around. Your only nearby dining option is the Silver Lining, upstairs in the airport terminal."<<

Lol, McKinleyville has a population of about 15,000 (with several decent eateries) and is only about 15 minutes from Eureka itself :-)

Yet another alternative would be to stay in the tiny town of Trinidad, about 10 miles north of McK'ville:

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g33188-Trinidad_Calif…

(also click on the B&B tab)

Eureka, CA
Level Contributor
308 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sonoma to Crescent city

Eight good reasons to visit Eureka in August:

1. Free Thursday night concerts on the Boardwalk.

2. First Saturday evening, Arts Alive in Old Town, when the many art galleries and fine shops stay open late.

3. Late August, Blues by the Bay.

4. Headline entertainment at the Arkley Center for the Performing Arts, near Old Town.

5. First Saturday 10 am to 4 pm, Fort Humboldt State Park's "steam-up" of historic equipment, including free rides on an old steam-driven logging train.

6. Al fresco dining at the Woodley Island marina.

7. Fine dining in Old Town: Avalon, 301, Cin-Cin, Gabriel's, Sea Grill.

8. A wide range of good ethnic restaurants: Italian, Japanese, and Thai, in addition to the usual Mexican and Chinese.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sonoma to Crescent city

Hi All

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas.

We now wonder if we should forget Sonoma where we were going to stay for two nights and just do the coast. After all we live in the midst of one of the best winery areas in New Zealand with a top wine maker our neighbour.

There seems to be so much to see and do and we really are going to push for time.

Has anyone had first hand experience of Carter House

in Eureka???

And if we forget Sonoma and just head north on the coast how far would we get in three hours??

We want to do the park in San Francisco before we leave in the afternoon.

Looking forward to more info, many thanks

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Sonoma to Crescent city

Yes, I stayed at Carter House last April (met a very nice couple from Auckland while I was there, actually). It's a lovely inn and I had a very nice dinner there. However, I had stayed in Trinidad (a little north of Eureka) on the way down the coast (at the Lost Whale Inn) and preferred it over Eureka so that would be my choice if I were to do the trip again.

9. Re: Sonoma to Crescent city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 07:22