We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorial Day or Thanksgiving in Redwoods

ca
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Memorial Day or Thanksgiving in Redwoods

We have the opportunity and desire to visit the Redwoods, driving from San Luis Obispo CA up to Eureka, CA or around, either a week crossing over Memorial Day or a week crossing over Thanksgiving.

We can actually take the trip anytime, but those two times are on the calendar right now unless we learn there is a much better time to see green, lush trees.

We will drive up 101. I know Hwy 1 is beautiful to some, but growing up on the East Coast there are no real you and the cliffs without guard rail scenerios.

Im still getting used to that here in CA, and have found it to take away from Gods beauty when I am feeling scared out of my skivees. So 101 it is.

Which time would be best weather wise?

Less rain, higher temps, less dangerous opportunity for Mother Nature to embark on our parade?

Availability of attractions (some places close Labor Day)?

Less crowded, but local events happening?

If you had a choice to go either time when would you go.

We are thinking 2 days up, 2 days back, 4 days there to see the trees.

We would love to go Whale Watching too. Although we can do that here in Santa Barbara, CA. (however, its expensive here).

We like trees and landscape when it is green and lush. And we are spoiled living on the Central Coast of CA, so low 70 and sunny is much better than cold, wet and rainy for our bones that are getting old...lol

We enjoy fares, festivals, craft fairs, music in the park, picnics and local events.

If you could take the trip anytime of the year when would you choose?

1st, 2nd and 3rd choices of best time of year, and why?

Thanks for sharing and taking time out to answer all of us visitors questions.

Eureka, CA
Level Contributor
310 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Memorial Day or Thanksgiving in Redwoods

Memorial Day weekend would be our vote between the two you mentioned. There are a lot of public events that weekend, and although the weather may not reach the 70s, it will certainly be more congenial than Thanksgiving weekend, which can get dicey.

If, however, you were looking for the optimum weather window for this area, it would be September, early October; we get absolutely gorgeous weather then.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,711 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Memorial Day or Thanksgiving in Redwoods

Since the redwoods are evergreens, they are great year round and the fog belt keeps them and the surrounding forests fairly lush even in the summertime.

Spring time is really neat though for the forest as a whole because you've got a lot of new growth from the winter rains - and you've got wild flowers. The weather is generally better than Thanksgiving - there is rarely any rain that time of year, whereas Thanksgiving can be pretty darn wet, depending on the weather patterns.

Memorial Day weekend is also a better time for local events than Thanksgiving. The only issue with Memorial Day is that half the state's population will be on the road, so add a buffer to your drive time estimates, try to get on the road early, and then just go with the flow :)

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Memorial Day or Thanksgiving in Redwoods

I believe they still have the Kinetic race that weekend in The Eureka/Arcadia/Ferndale area. We attended 10 years ago & it is great fun!

gp1
Eureka, California
Level Contributor
641 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Memorial Day or Thanksgiving in Redwoods

Hi cavisitor

I live just outside of Eureka and my Mother lived in Cayucos for over 20 years so I have made this trip numerous times. IMHO Memorial Day is better than Thanksgiving but not by much. At either of those times I would plan on rain, bring some light weight rain gear and you’ll be ok. The parks are never really crowded. As a former racer the kinetic race is a hoot. Seeing the start in Arcata, the “bay crossing” in Eureka and the end in Ferndale can be cool, but I would choose the redwoods or the beach over seeing any other part of the race. The best time for this trip is early October. The fall colors in the redwoods are way underrated. In all seriousness the poison oak that climbs 200-300 feet up the tree trunks and turns bright red and yellow is pretty amazing. The big leaf and vine maple also get into the act. 2 and 3 on my list would be around Memorial Day or Thanksgiving. 2 up 2 back and 4 here and possibly Crescent city is a good plan. I can get more specific if you want; just post back here I am always hanging around.

Have Fun

GP

PS I chose to live here but if I had to live anywhere else in the world it would be the central coast the two places have a more than a bit in common.

5. Re: Memorial Day or Thanksgiving in Redwoods

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 15:16