We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help on vacation plans

shelby, ia
Level Contributor
8 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Help on vacation plans

I have been reading the Eureka forum postings and have changed our plans several times. First off our vacation originates in Sacamento. We are definitely not going to travel Hwy 1 due to time constictions. I was considering taking Hwy 20 to 101 to travel through the Avenue of the Giants.(opinions please on better route.) Initially I was going to book 2 nights in Crescent City but after reading the forums I think we will book our 1 night in Eureka and maybe 1 night in Crescent City. I definitely want to visit Ferndale. The reason for the Crescent City stop is my husband is a lighthouse addict and he wants to visit Battery Point Lighthouse. If we cut out Crescent City, is there any visitor friendly lighthouses close to Eureka.

Eureka, CA
Level Contributor
311 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help on vacation plans

Why not add St. George Reef Lighthouse while you're in Crescent City? tours@stgeorgereeflighthouse.us

www.stgeorgereeflighthouse.us

The St. George Reef Preservation Society occasionally offers helicopter trips to the lighthouse. For more information, see the newly published The DeWire Guide to Lighthouses of the Pacific Coast.

As to others, there's the Trinidad Head Lighthouse in Trinidad. "The lighthouse on the headland is closed to the public but energetic hikers can visit the site via a road beyond Edwards Street in Trinidad that travels past the Coast Guard station and along the headland cliffs." (DeWire Guide)

There's also Table Bluff Lighthouse at Woodley Island Marina in Eureka.

Also Cape Mendocino Lighthouse in Ferndale, at the Humboldt County Fairgrounds.

Or Punta Gorda Lighthouse in Petrolia. " From Highway 1 at Petrolia, take Mattole Road to Lighthouse Road. Park at the beach and walk 3.5 miles to the lighthouse. The walk is rigorous, with several small creeks to cross." (DeWire Guide)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,393 posts
1,083 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help on vacation plans

Battery Point is quite unique in that (as I'm sure your husband knows) you have to cross a causeway at low tide to get to it. Crescent City is a nice town with many other attractions, but it is not an upscale, "yuppie-ized" town, although there is decent lodging.

It is only about 1.5 hours or a tad less driving time between Crescent City and Eureka. Do be sure to take the Newton Drury scenic route (old 101) at least one way. Stop in Orick to see the wood carvings.

3. Re: Help on vacation plans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2010, 06:18