We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eureka Eats...

Which Eureka hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northern California
Level Contributor
109 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Eureka Eats...

We live in Eureka and would recommend the following eateries in Old Town Eureka. There are others but these are the ones we enjoy.

Hurricane Kate's~ Mid block of 2nd between F & G. So cool. Eclectic. Nice atmosphere, unique food. Sweet potatoes (instead of french fries) A fresh spinach pizza ,oysters, Pork Chops and YUMMY desserts and decent cocktails. Good service because they don't have different waiters every month. A good crowd of employees and clientele.

Gabriel's~ E & 3rd. Italian. Run by a family of brothers and sisters. They have great Salmon Pasta, and pizza and good Italian food served elegantly. Fine wines, Desserts to die for, a great Tiramisu. Creme Brulee too!! Lovely casual attitude yet clean and professional. A restaurant for business or pleasure. Open daily except Sundays.

Cin Cin~ Opera Plaza Area. A friendly Italian restaurant with a great cheese plate and fabulous wine selection. Great Italian food, the Spaghetti is great. They always have room for you and are quite accommodating.

Ritz~ Right behind Cin Cin on 3rd and F and owned by the same people. It is a Sushi Bar and a Teppanyaki Bar. You need reservations for the Teppanyaki Bar. It is just fabulous. Prices are fairly reasonable for Sushi compared to say... San Francisco. It is fresh too and tasty!

Pearl Cocktail Lounge~ Mid block of 2nd near F & G. A swanky new jazz bar. It has a stunning decor of recycled glass bar and table tops. It is small and intimate and even when a band is playing, you can hear yourself think and talk. Their hors d'ouvres are provided by Hurricane Kate's (they are next door). The cocktails are great! The staff is nice too. Good way to unwind any day of the week.

Chapala~ 2nd and C~ Great mexican food and the best margaritas anywhere in the county. Lovely victorian building nice decor with painted walls of Spanish culture. Great traditional Mexican food. Go for it!! It is great!

Half Empty Cafe~ 2nd & G. Funny name. It is the bottom floor of The Vance Hotel. An historic hotel that has been remodeled into business spaces. There decor is comforting and beautiful. Nice and sunny. Good scones in the morning if you can get them. (They sell out.) They offer a High Tea and and Afternoon Tea service with reservations. They have good gourmet sandwiches and soup. A good place for a Latte. GREAT coffee. A bit pricey. Open Tuesdays~Saturdays.

Ramone's Bakery~ A local favorite for pastries and coffee. 2nd & E.

Los Bagels~ Guess what they serve?? Located on 2nd street at E. decent bagels with homemade spreads to go on them. They also make traditional Latin American style cookies and pastries. good place to get a qwik morning snack.

Avalon~ 3rd and G Haven't been there yet? Anyone? Let us know what it is like.

Eureka/Fortuna/Hydes...
Destination Expert
for Eureka
Level Contributor
277 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eureka Eats...

Great list, thanks for the input.

Eureka, CA
Level Contributor
307 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eureka Eats...

Trinkbreath, thanks for including the Cin Cin. I overlooked that one when I did my list, Romantic Dining In and Near Eureka, but it certainly qualifies in every respect. We especially appreciate that it's open on Sunday and that we can always get seated.

Its white table linens and its "Primo, Segundi" courses lend the Cin Cin an air of elegance--this is definitely not your neighborhood spaghetti house. It's as worthy (though as pricey) as the Avalon, in our opinion.

Lawrenceburg...
Level Contributor
323 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eureka Eats...

Thanks for taking the time to do this review. The first of May, I'll have one full day to spend in Eureka before a week of backpacking. Might have to try out Gabriel's!

Eureka, CA
Level Contributor
307 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eureka Eats...

Saber45, you will love Gabriel's. We went there last night for a 5-course Italian dinner with a wine flight and were seated upstairs. From the panchetta to the canoli it was delicious . . . and magical. Two thumbs up.

Lawrenceburg...
Level Contributor
323 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eureka Eats...

Thanks inabedofroses!!! I now know where I'll be for dinner so I can mark that off my list of questions. My flight arrives early evening and I have all of the follow day to just hang out. This will enable me to get a bite to eat at a few other restaurants. Know where I'll be having dinner but haven't decided yet where I'm staying. Well... I got my priorities straight.

Seattle
Level Contributor
574 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eureka Eats...

My favorite is Samoa Cookhouse. Have been there for lunch 3 times now and planning another visit when I drive through Eureka enroute to Ave of the Giants in early May this year.

Also do cheese tasting at Loreto and snacking in Ferndale.

Eureka/Fortuna/Hydes...
Destination Expert
for Eureka
Level Contributor
277 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eureka Eats...

The Samoa Cookhouse is also one of my favorites too. It really brings you back in time.

Humboldt County
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Eureka Eats...

I finally got around to trying Gabriel's and Cin Cin in the last couple of weeks. Cin Cin was fantastic. Great apps, especially the grilled calimari (special), great wine list, and the entrees and deserts were very good. I had the lamb stew, which I'd recommend. All around, it may have been my best dinner in Eureka.

Gabriel's, however, was very dissapointing. My manhattan and my wife's martini were both VERY watery, so they lost the flavors of the Maker's Mark and Bombay, respectively. We had a very nice pepper prawn appetizer, great flavors in a little broth. But the entrees weren't good. Wasn't impressed with the wine list, either. How about some California wines?

We look forward to returning to Cin Cin, but won't go back to Gabriel's any time soon.

9. Re: Eureka Eats...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 03:15