We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV Parking?

Which Ferndale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hummelstown
Destination Expert
for Hershey
Level Contributor
428 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
RV Parking?

I am planning a trip, primarily to see the redwoods, but want to find other interesting stops along the way. Ferndale sounds like the perfect place to stop! We are considering renting an RV and I am wondering how difficult it will be to find parking in places like Ferndale.

Any other thoughts on a trip to this area is also much appreciated!

4 replies to this topic
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RV Parking?

Hi, do you mean just to park to walk around the town or to stay overnight? There is parking on some of the side roads in town, plus at the Firemen's Park which is kind of on the west end of the small downtown.

As far as overnighting, there is an RV park at the fairgrounds. Note - this is *not* available during County Fair in August, so check with them!

http://www.humboldtcountyfair.org/

Ferndale is a lovely little town and well worth a visit but is not a convenient place to stay to see the redwoods. There are many other RV parks and campgrounds which are closer.

This whole area (Richardson Grove to Crescent City) is a lovely area and there is a lot to do and see. I can give you lots of ideas and I am a long time RVer as well, LOL!

You might want to post in the Redwood NP forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g2193168-i22777-Re…

Hummelstown
Destination Expert
for Hershey
Level Contributor
428 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RV Parking?

Thanks for the response! I was inquiring about parking during the day, not overnight.

I'm still trying to determine if renting an rv is the way to go for this trip, even though we have a travel trailer that we love using. Any additional input is appreciated. I'm looking to make this trip next year, so I have time:)

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,945 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RV Parking?

If you are doing primarily outdoors activities, it works.

Campgounds however can be full of campers and many are seasonal - say Memorial Day to Labor Day....some a few weeks earlier and later. As such, with an RV in California, its pretty important to decide where you want to camp and when; many campgrounds take reservations and some get fully booked in advance.

If you are doing any of the major cities such as San Francisco as part of this trip, I would not do an RV adventure. Our cities are unfriendly when it comes to RVs.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RV Parking?

In the redwoods there are many campgrounds and RV parks which stay open all year. Privately owned RV parks and campgrounds do not book up months ahead like the state parks do. Privately owned ones also have hookups, usually full hookups, whereas in California most state parks do not have any hookups and are still fairly high priced.

Other than Howland Hill Road in Crescent City, Davison Road out to Gold Bluffs beach, and a few sections of the Old Coast Road, you can drive a motorhome everywhere around the whole area with no restrictions. So you can see lots of territory!

Weather is pretty rainy in winter, from about late October through March or April. Spring and fall are nice as is summer because unless you go inland, temperatures are very moderate.

Reply to: RV Parking?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ferndale