We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort Bragg to Crescent City help

Which Fort Bragg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
673 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Fort Bragg to Crescent City help

I'm new to this area and need a lot of help!!

June 2009

San Fran-2 nights

Monterey- 4 nights

Yosemite- (already book Yosemite Lodge) 3 nights

Sacramento- 1 or 2 nights?

Fort Bragg- 2 or 3 nights? Want to do train, glass beach, and ?

Crescent City- 2 nights (or more nights in Fort Bragg? want to experience redwoods and beaches.

LOOKING FOR HELP HERE!! DO I NEED CRESCENT CITY IF STAYING IN FORT BRAGG?

San Fran-2 nights depart June 21st. I don't want to rush from place to place, but want to experience a variety of things in the area. I was thinking Holiday Inn Express in Fort Bragg. Everything else will be Hilton using points. We are a family of 4- me (39), husband (40), daughters (11 & 9). We may also have my 14 year nephew. Any tips would be appreciated!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fort Bragg to Crescent City help

The redwoods are south of Crescent City, so I would consider Eureka instead. Also, Old Town Eureka is interesting. Some people complain about traffic noise in many Eureka motels (didn't bother us). Consider staying in the scenic town of Trinidad instead. One very quiet place are the cabins of Bishop Pine Lodge tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g33188-d285100-… there are other nice places around Trinidad

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fort Bragg to Crescent City help

I suspect you chose Crescent City due to a Hilton affilited motel there (Hampton Inn?). Crescent City would not be my choice, but there might not be a Hilton affiliate in Trinidad or Eureka area, so it's a decision you would have to make.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,968 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fort Bragg to Crescent City help

I would not choose either 1 or 2 nights in Sacramento, like, I would not stay there.

I might use the night between Yosemite and Fort Bragg in the wine country. Napa or Sonoma Valleys or Healdsburg where you can catch Hwy 128 through the Alexander Valley over to the coast and Fort Bragg.

I would not go all the way to Crescent City for Redwoods....I am not all that familiar with the groves but someone here can help you with that. Crescent City is W..A...A...Y up there. Between Fort Bragg and Crescent City are some great redwood groves. The experts will help us out here.

Fort Bragg...
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fort Bragg to Crescent City help

I would spend more time in Fort Bragg. There are State Parks in the area that have beautiful redwood groves. Eureka is also an option - you can stop at Avenue of the Giants on the way up or you can do a day trip from Fort Bragg. There is a ton to do in the area - lighthouses, Skunk Train, glass beach, redwoods, horseback riding, kayaking, etc. For other places in Fort Bragg to stay, check out www.gomendo.com. There are more unique places that can accommodate you. Try the Beachcomber Motel or Emerald Dolphin Inn or Surf 'n Sand Lodge - They all have views and are not that expensive.

Have a great trip!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,888 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fort Bragg to Crescent City help

Okay, Crescent City is sort of like Rodney Dangerfield -- just gets no respect, lol! It has a lot of attractions that most folks don't bother to see, they just zip on through.

But . . . before I go into them all, I am wondering why you are going all the way up there? Fort Bragg/Mendocino is a pretty area. For the tallest trees on earth, take the time to drive and take a walk along the Avenue of the Giants:

http://www.avenueofthegiants.net/

This is located along Hwy 101, about 60 miles south of Eureka in Humboldt Redwoods State Park.

For more redwoods and great scenery, you can drive north of Eureka through Redwood National Park.

However, this is not a *fast* drive. Your average speed is going to be something around 45-50 mph, with the exception of the short freeway stretch north of Orick.

There is lots to see, but don't plan on driving from Fort Bragg to Crescent City in one shot.

Can you find a Hilton partner hotel in Eureka by any chance? Or Trinidad, just north, which is a lovely little town with beaches and woods.

Also, where are you flying out of to go home?

6. Re: Fort Bragg to Crescent City help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 03:20
Get answers to your questions about Fort Bragg