We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Ft. Bragg in fall/winter

Which Fort Bragg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
p.a., washington
1 post
Save Topic
Trip to Ft. Bragg in fall/winter

Have never been to Ft. Bragg, and am interested in the surrounding area (within a 45 mile radius). Would appreciate information regarding long-term lodging--condos, houses? I do house and pet sitting, ideal situation would be to do this while there, but not necessary.

Economy, what do people do for a living there, do for entertainment, average age group? Hows the weather in the four seasons, great deal of fog, cold, or fairly mild?

Would appreciate any infor you could provide,

Thanks!

Glendora, CA
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Ft. Bragg in fall/winter

Well I guess I am the only person that has been to Fort Bragg. I have only been once and that was a couple of years ago during the summer months. But as far as weather, it is foggy, misty and very cool in the mornings and evenings even in July. The sun does come out to chase away the fog and warms the day up to a nice 70-75 degrees. We rode the Skunk Train into the California Redwoods and had a lovely trip. I'd say that between logging, military and tourism not much else drives the economy there. It is pretty quiet, small, rustic, and might I warn a little bit 'redneck' in Fort Bragg. I'm sorry I couldn't be of much help, there are a few little towns around there that you could drive to but keep in mind that the rodes are two lane, curvy, lonely, and in the fall and winter probably pretty foggy, wet, and slick. It will probably be pretty cold there as well. Good luck, let me know what you find there...

San Jose, CA
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Ft. Bragg in fall/winter

Hello,Have been to Fort Bragg a few times. Breathtaking coastal views and a romantic, rustic little harbor (Noyo). Fort Bragg is a bit more blue-collar as opposed to their neighbors to the south in Mendocino, which is more of an art community with very expensive lodging and restaurants. Touring both towns give you a nice balance. Things I liked when I was in Fort Bragg include: the local coffeehouse, Headlands on Laurel St. and DO NOT miss the Northcoast Brewery if you're up for a lovely and smooth microbrew, the food's good too. Russian Gulch (between Mendocino and FB), is a beautiful state park that has nice hiking trails to a lovely waterfall. FB has a few Mom and Pop stores that have interesting arts and crafts, as well does Mendocino.Hope this helps!JM

Lincolnton, North...
Level Contributor
44 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Ft. Bragg in fall/winter

I live 20 miles (as the crow flies) from Ft. Bragg, a bit north of Willits. The coast has a lot of fog and rain in the winter. If there is rain, we usually get it, too. But the fog often breaks up a little inland. The Skunk Train no longer runs from Ft. Bragg to Willits, only halfway. It's $40 per person from the Ft. Bragg side, $20 per person from the Willits side. (But I think they are going to Saturdays only for winter.)

In our area, the Brooktrails Lodge has long term cabins/houses available. It's in the redwoods near the golf course and is about 3 miles from Hwy 101. We own a B&B with a guesthouse, but our rates are more geared toward nightly/weekly stays, not monthly.

Enjoy your visit to Mendocino County!

Christy Collins

Beside Still Waters Farm B&B

Willits, CA

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,301 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Ft. Bragg in fall/winter

We have been to Fort Bragg tons of times. It can be exeptionally beautiful in fall and unseasonably mild winter days. Of course it can rain cats and dogs and be foggy but the fog at least is not bothersome to us. Great place with many state parks and mendocino village is a short drive away. North Coast brewery is a haven for good beer lovers. A wonderful pub to relax in.

5. Re: Trip to Ft. Bragg in fall/winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2005, 02:18
Roseville...
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Ft. Bragg in fall/winter

I just got back from the Ft. Bragg/Mendocino area. Actually, we had no fog (this is Nov) but the skies were overcast until about 2 -3:00, weather was chilly (especially after sunset). You should drive south and check out the Botanical Gardens, the Pygmy Forest (In Van Damme State Park) and of course the town of Mendocino. Also, the brewery in Ft. Bragg is a good stop. Seems like every restaurant we went to in Mendocino had awesome food - altho none of it cheap! If you can get a room with a view of the ocean, it is worth it, a fireplace is almost a must in the evening. Ft. Bragg is much cheaper than Mendocino for lodging but don't have a recommended hotel as we stayed in Mendocino.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,352 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Ft. Bragg in fall/winter

It is a beautiful area! Since logging has been totally thwarted, the area is pretty much dependant on it's natural beauty and tourists! Lots of good wandering in town, some fantastic shops and wonderful places to stay and eat! Just make sure to have layers of clothing as the weather can be mixed! Heritage House-on the way there is fantastic! Little River In is also very good. Hope you enjoy our beautiful coast. It is awsome!

Get answers to your questions about Fort Bragg