We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

winter driving

Which Fresno hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
winter driving

Hi there,

I am driving from Las Vegas to Fish Camp outside of Yosemite via Fresno. We are hiring a SUV and breaking the drive with one overnight stay at Bakersfield or thereabouts. We are driving in December just before xmas and are wondering how the roads will be given the weather. Having come from Australia, I am quite nervous about driving on the opposite side of the road in snowy conditions. Is the final stretch from Fresno to fish Camp particularly icy and snowy at that time of the year or is it drivable? I will be driving with a 17 year old, a 12 year old and a ten year old.

San Jose, California
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: winter driving

no rain and do it.

wondeful and family drive lots of fun.

stop in barstow and see some stuff. the old rr station and ret 66 museum and then to baker and largest thermometer in the world pictures of all the kids.

primm at the state line want some discoutned clothes. love it there.

then to las vegas and happiness.

rent a car and if not you travel from bard travels if yours is old do it. enterprize is cheap and they do not hassle you with the extras insruance and hazard stuff.

it will be a great adventrue.

do it

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,856 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: winter driving

Hi Lisa30101972

The roads in Fresno will be fine.

Hwy 99 might have some tule fog. www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8PnA1CqkkY I think you could probably make it further north than Bakersfield, and since tule fog is generally a morning phenomenon, it would be nice to "make more miles" before stopping for the night. Then if it's foggy the next morning, you can wait till the fog lifts. Of course if tule fog is developing as you get into central California from the east, stop.

If you're spending the day driving through Death Valley (a fabulous idea), then you'll be lucky to get as far as Bakersfield.

Hwy 41 from Fresno up to Fish Camp (elevation 5,000') is winding after Oakhurst and could have chain restrictions in December. Please read the winter driving tips on the Yosemite NP forum page, Top Questions on the right. tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g61000-i315 If possible, try to get an SUV that is 4WD (there are cheaper 2WD models that some rental companies purchase for their fleet.)

How are you planning to visit Yosemite? Drive? Maybe start a new thread on the Yosemite page for a winter visit conversation (your question from January was more about flying vs driving.) There is also some info on the Yosemite Top Q about "When to Visit" & "Planning a Winter Visit"

Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: winter driving

Due to lack of rainfall we haven't had much fog the last few years. That's not to say there won't be any fog this year. During fog season it generally starts getting foggy around 5pm and won't lift until around 10am the next day. The portion of your trip in which you "may" run into fog wold be from Bakersfiled to just north of Fresno. You would be above the fog once you get into the foothills or higher ground. Just drive during the day after the fog lifts and before it reforms at night.

Like I said, we have not had much fog the last few years. You will probably not have a problem.

4. Re: winter driving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2015, 05:16