We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Groveland or Mariposa for 3 night stay?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Groveland or Mariposa for 3 night stay?

We are visiting Yosemite for three nights later this year and found a lovely rental beyond Mariposa-45 min drive to valley floor.Pretty meadowey setting rather than within the woods.

Then i stumbled across a lovely cabin in the woods in Pine Mountain lake community- same price,looks nice maybe not quite as well appointed as the mariposa place but very much in the woods as it were.Both work out the same price- one has a hot tub one doesn't.

Trying to choose but am guessing mariposa and groveland are similar kinds of places- we will probably visit them on an evening but will be eating in all nights.Groveland must be a longer journey to the vallelly floor but i guess it is the same park entrance?

Any insight on which area may be preferable with two small kids in winter would be helpful.

Thank you in advance;))

Rainbow Pool
Bodies of Water, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Yosemite Guide Service
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Sierra Mac River Trips
River Rafting & Tubing
5 replies to this topic
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,665 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Groveland or Mariposa for 3 night stay?

The population of the town of Groveland is 604, Mariposa has about 2500. I mention this because while I have enjoyed staying in Groveland, the facilities in town are limited...

Mariposa is a lovely small town. It is the county seat of Mariposa County. The historic county courthouse is a small white beauty. The main street is nice to stroll and there are choices of restaurants. But if you will be eating in, you will also have a better choice of stores to buy groceries.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Groveland or Mariposa for 3 night stay?

Thanks Puter- that is helpful.....Mariposa it is.The owners of the rental seem so nice as well which is always a deal maker for us.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
64,638 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Groveland or Mariposa for 3 night stay?

Groveland is on Hwy 120. Visitors to Yosemite use the Big Oak Flat Entrance. Expect the drive to be 75 - 90 minutes to the Valley, depending on where 'in' Groveland you're staying.

Mariposa is on Hwy 140. Folks use the Arch Rock Entrance. Expect the drive from 'downtown' Mariposa to be 75 minutes to the Valley. I can't figure out where you're considering staying that is 'beyond' Mariposa and only 45 minutes to the Valley. Midpines is 'beyond' / east of Mariposa and is about 60 minutes to the Valley. El Portal is about 25 minutes. So this is ... Briceburg? A cabin on the road across the river from the highway?

Here is the bigger consideration. The elevation of the drive into Yosemite Valley from the rental property is vastly different. From Groveland, the road goes over 6,200'. From Mariposa, there is a hill of 3,000', but mostly the road follows the river and gently ascends to the Valley at 4,000'. So you are never higher than the Valley. Chain controls are more common on Hwy 120 than on Hwy 140. Have you read the winter driving information?

I guess the options inside the Park gates didn't appeal to you or your wallet. Some are kind of pricey, but the locations of Foresta, Yosemite West, & Wawona are nice.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,039 posts
6,071 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Groveland or Mariposa for 3 night stay?

Pacific Northwest Family - have you ever stayed in Mariposa? It has an absolutely excellent mining museum

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=588

but where sto stay has very little to do with how many people in the town. Both towns have similar lodging and similar lack of good restsurants; since we have stayed there to see the mining museum.

Also Mariposa is on the side that takes longer to get to Yosemite valley.

It would be far better to stay in Oakhurst as its very close to Wawona Side.

In terms of driving into the park for 3 days - yes, the owners are nice, as they will have problems renting their property in that location if your goal is 3 days in the park. Its a fun place to explore if you want to spend most of your time not in the heart of Yosemite which is the valley.

Its a much easier drive from Groveland to the valley - its not one I like to do every day and as such recommend the valley or looking at Yosemite West for lodging if park lodging is full.

I have stayed in both....and if you are looking at taking highway 49 one day to explore another entrance to Yosemite, take all the dramamine you can find. Its not a good drive at all - we have taken it; and we sometimes forget and take it again. We soon know why Groveland to Yosemite is better.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Groveland or Mariposa for 3 night stay?

mini!!

You dredged up an almost 2 year old post. I don't know why you have a beef with PNWF but you should give it a rest.

Reply to: Groveland or Mariposa for 3 night stay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Groveland