We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A good place to stay between SF and Yosemite for a family

Which Groveland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
547 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
A good place to stay between SF and Yosemite for a family

Hi,

I am just wondering if Groveland is an interesting place to stay for kids. We are leaving SF about 1pm in order to be closer to Yosemite for our visit there the following day I believe Columbia ( the old gold mining town) is close to Groveland too. My son is very much into history and would find it very interesting. Should we perhaps find accomodation there instead of Groveland?

8 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A good place to stay between SF and Yosemite for a family

When are you going? Summer or winter?

2. Re: A good place to stay between SF and Yosemite for a family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 January 2013, 10:49

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
547 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A good place to stay between SF and Yosemite for a family

We will be there June 17!!!!!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A good place to stay between SF and Yosemite for a family

Just 4 hours between SF and Yosemite and days are very long that time of year. I''d drive to Yosemite that day.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
547 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A good place to stay between SF and Yosemite for a family

I thought Groveland was a good choice:( I thought much of the accom in Yosemite would be sold or else be extremely expensive....

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,554 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A good place to stay between SF and Yosemite for a family

Hi sharynleydin

If you have an extra day in your itinerary, staying in Groveland could work. But I think it's too far to use as a base for a Yosemite visit.

When you begin your Yosemite tourism, stay closer to Yosemite Valley. Check the Yosemite forum for lodging ideas (Top Questions in the upper right.)

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,554 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A good place to stay between SF and Yosemite for a family

I changed my mind! You're the one who has only one night. Try to get all the way to Yosemite Valley. Then you'll BE THERE when you wake up the next morning and can spend lots of time in the Park before continuing your journey toward Las Vegas.

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: A good place to stay between SF and Yosemite for a family

Agree with PacificNWFamily.

You have so little time in Yosemite it is worth it to pay the money to get an in-park accomodation. It's going to be more than a 2 hour drive into the valley floor from Groveland. That doesn't make it a reasonable choice for me.

Reply to: A good place to stay between SF and Yosemite for a family
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted