We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding Site/ Reception Location

london
8 posts
Save Topic
Wedding Site/ Reception Location

We are looking to get married outside on the cliffs overlooking the ocean somewhere between Half Moon Bay and Big Sur in the fall. I have been exploring all major hotel and restaurant options but wondering if there are any lesser known locations or smaller private venues. Has anyone has great experience? Know of idea spot for ceremony and reception? Or is possible to rent a house/ estate? We are trying to keep it simple, on a budget, probably around 100 people.

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
400 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding Site/ Reception Location

You said that you had already been checking out options, so I'm not sure if you have checked out this one or not :

http://www.visitasilomar.com/

Beautiful location and facilities.

There are also lots of accommodation and restaurant options in Santa Cruz which will certainly provide you with cliffs overlooking the ocean

london
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding Site/ Reception Location

Thanks, this really looks like it could be just what we are looking for! I don't completely understand what the "conference grounds" part is. Is it a more than a hotel but secluded area, or lodging is all together?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,399 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding Site/ Reception Location

Asilmar Conference Grounds often hosts outside groups for special events. There are separate buildings where the rooms are housed. This is really more of a rustic environment (cabin like) with few amenities (no phones, TV's). It is located in a pretty wooded area of Pacific Grove and the beach is right across the street, but it really isn't what I would call cliff top.

Here's a look at what the nearby coastline looks like:

…photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Asilomar-S-B…

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14878083@N05/1547713113/

Edited: 13 January 2011, 22:00
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,399 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding Site/ Reception Location

You might want to consider hiring a local wedding planner to help with your site selection. There are some privately owned residences that make their view properties available for weddings, but most of us don't know where these properties are or who to contact.

Here's one company for your consideration:

http://www.abigsuraffair.com/wedding.html

london
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding Site/ Reception Location

Thanks, I will contact a big sur affair... any others like this? Affordable wedding planners that help with more low key affairs?

Auburn, Alabama
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding Site/ Reception Location

Did you contact the Ritz Carlton property in Half Moon Bay?

If you aren't set on staying in the more central area, consider going north to somewhere like Bodega Bay or Medocino.

Going south, Pigeon Point might be a viable choice.

new york
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding Site/ Reception Location

I have been to a wedding at the Miramar Beach Restaurant in Half Moon Bay.

It had beautiful views and is more of a low key atmosphere.

Edited: 07 February 2011, 16:44
8. Re: Wedding Site/ Reception Location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 23:19