We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fresh crab stand-- where to buy and eat

Which Half Moon Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
124 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Fresh crab stand-- where to buy and eat

Hello fellow trip advisors!

I love fresh crab and heard there was a crab stand where you pick the live crab fresh from the water and they cook for you!

Where is this place and name??? Yummy!!!

7 replies to this topic
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,587 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fresh crab stand-- where to buy and eat

Gosh, you may be too late. Crab season is almost over, and judging by the prices this season, they must have been scarce. But if you can find the place, and they still have crabs, and you can afford them <grin>, have one for me.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
18 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fresh crab stand-- where to buy and eat

If in season, you can by crabs at the marina just north of Half Moon Bay town proper. Think crab season is late October to Feb or March. We were there last November and saw the boats go out in the early morning. Hundreds of crab pots were stacked in several places in the nearby area.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fresh crab stand-- where to buy and eat

www.myoutdoorbuddy.com/fishing_report.php…

Here ya go

PS There is a "crab Shank on the main drag in Half Moon but it was extensively remolded so is no longer very "Shacky"

Drove by it on my last trip down but can not recall the name

Edited: 03 September 2014, 00:13
Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,452 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fresh crab stand-- where to buy and eat

I've never noticed a place around HMB where they'll take crab or any kind of fish right off the boat and cook it for you. You usually buy the crab or fish and take it home to clean and cook.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
18 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fresh crab stand-- where to buy and eat

I think there is a place right on the marina docks that will cook the food. I have not been there but saw it listed on a Half Moon Bay site recently. I will see if I can find it and list it here so others can check it out.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
18 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fresh crab stand-- where to buy and eat

Princeton Seafood Company. It has a market and restaurant. Apparently this also another spot to buy fresh seafood on the dock. Here is the link to their review here on tripadvisor:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g32469-d31…

Next time we are there, i plan to try them.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,587 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fresh crab stand-- where to buy and eat

simba,

>>>You usually buy the crab or fish and take it home to clean and cook<<<.

Moss Landing also has a place where you can buy live crab which has just come off the boat and they cook it for you. Then you take it home and clean and crack it yourself. So does Bodega Bay.

Ummm....You cook it live....and you don't "clean" it before you "cook" it, unlike a stream fish. (You did know that, didn't you?) :~)

Reply to: Fresh crab stand-- where to buy and eat
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted