We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine tasting "class"?

ca
Level Contributor
263 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Wine tasting "class"?

We're looking for something beyond wine tastings this time. My husband and I are interested in a wine tasting "class" - in other words, going to a winery where someone spends an hour or two with us pointing out the notes in the different wines we're tasting, what makes each wine unique etc. We are staying in Healdsburg and will have a car.

Any tips on which winery offers something like this? Or if there is a tour company that can arrange something like this for us?

Thank you so much!

Napa
Level Contributor
2,485 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine tasting "class"?

you would probably really enjoy the Mayo Reserve Room- they do a fabulous wine and food pairing. Otherwise, what you want is a sensory type Seminar I'm not sure who in Sonoma offers these - try Gloria Ferrer & Chateau St. Jean.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,833 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine tasting "class"?

Many wineries offer wine education seminars throughout the year with varying topics. It will just depend upon when you'll be visiting and if that will coincide with such events being given at specific wineries. A few suggestions: Contact Kendall-Jackson Wine Center (www.kj.com) in Fulton (just south of Healdsburg) and ask them what they might be offering. Also, choose a favorite winery and ask to speak to the hospitality director or tasting room manager; tell them what type of educational experience it is you're seeking and ask them to put together a special, private tasting/educational seminar for you. Your can inquire about a sensory tasting and becoming educated about the aromas and tastes that wines convey (spices, florals, earthiness, etc). Most wineries, esp. those with a more abundant staff, will be very happy to tailor the activity to your specifications, but you'll need to make advance reservations. It may cost a bit more, but will constitute a very memorable experience. Lastly, since you're staying in Healdsburg, ask your innkeepers or concierge what they recommend.

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine tasting "class"?

I just read about a seminar at Michel-Schlumberger that explores "the structural components of wine"...maybe this is what you are looking for.

ca
Level Contributor
263 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine tasting "class"?

Thank you all for the recs - will look into these!

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,833 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine tasting "class"?

Yes--Michel-Schlumberger (www.michelschlumberger.com) in Dry Creek Valley would be an excellent choice as they offer to design custom tours and the educational level can be as in-depth as you wish.

Healdsburg, CA
Level Contributor
476 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine tasting "class"?

Ferrari Carano has some tastings kind of like that, ferrari-carano.com/visit/… with options for a scentements class, or you can focus on red or white wines.

Arista has privating tastings available, and is a really beautiful property, and I'm sure if you let them know what you are looking for, they could arrange something for you. Another winery who could potentially accommodate this would be Mauritson Winery in Dry Creek Valley. Don't hestitate to contact the wineries and ask! I'm sure many would be happy to set something up for you.

Innkeeper Mandie

Honor Mansion

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine tasting "class"?

A "second" for Mandie's suggestion of Ferrari-Carano! I have an article which talks about their in-depth wine tasting experience choices. They Include:

The Enthusiast: an in depth tasting of 5 wines of the guest's choice tailored to cover any wine-related topics participants may have

Scentements: allows participants to test their smell memory and identify aromas found in wine

The Chardonnay and Cabernet Tastings:each includes 4 wines paired with artisan cheeses and/or dried fruit and chocolate as well as an in-depth look at the winemaking process, growing regions and oak aging

PreVail Tasting-gives a glimpse of the history and creation of F-C's newest brand served with an array of appetizers, fruits and cheeses.

Guests are invited to take a self-guided stroll through the gardens after the tastings.

These private tastings are by appointment only

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wine tasting "class"?

If you are still looking for ideas for classes, check out the events listing at sonomauncorked.com.

9. Re: Wine tasting "class"?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2011, 05:16