We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girls Weekend Getaway in California Wine Country

Which Healdsburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NW Arkansas
5 posts
Save Topic
Girls Weekend Getaway in California Wine Country

There are four women researching a Wednesday - Saturday getaway in wine country Jan of 2011. Would like information on inns or B&Bs that are in walking distance of either Napa or Sonoma. A plus would be some that offer massage or facials as well. Given that outdoor porches at that time of year (and that it is typically rainy season) are not conducive to socializing space in the evening, rooms with a small lounge area in one or all of the rooms would be ideal. I have been to Napa before but it was a romantic anniversary trip and this is a birthday celebration. We would love recommendations for drivers for winery visits from the inn or B&B and also recommendations for good wineries for this specific group that are not pretentious yet have great varietals or blends. We are both white and red lovers...just not extremely sweet wines. Any suggestions on restaurants, music, clubs, events, etc. for this "40-ish" crowd would be great!

Mill Valley/Marin...
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Girls Weekend Getaway in California Wine Country

Sounds like a fun trip. If this were my girls getaway, I would look at the

Sonoma Mission Inn and Spa. They have a great spa that is really large and a heated swimming pool for swimming in the winter. It is a five minute drive to the square in Sonoma where there are lots of great restaurants. Overall, the wine country doesn't have a ton of music, clubs and events for the "40 something" crowd in the winter - it would really be more of a spa, wine tasting, restaurants and shopping vacation.

I thought about other resorts with spas and pools, but I would be concerned that the pools would not be warm enough for swimming in January.

(I go on a girls weekend with my college friends annually, and we have tried lots of different types of destinations. We have found that cities (S.F., Chicago, New York, Las Vegas) have been easier and more fun because of the abundance of nightlife that you typically do not find in the countryside -- Just an opinion.)

I think Sonoma Mission Inn and Spa would be a great girls weekend.

NW Arkansas
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Girls Weekend Getaway in California Wine Country

Thank you for the suggestion. I looked into Sonoma Mission and due to being out so far, I would like to explore B&B or inn options that are perhaps closer to restaurants and activities. I apologize for my choice of wording if I presented "clubbing" as our interest. I meant like jazz or piano bars, etc. where good music is offered but good conversation can still take place.

Level Contributor
34,218 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Girls Weekend Getaway in California Wine Country

We have stayed at the Sonoma Mission Inn four times, it is an amazing property and just 5 mintues away from the Plaza where the restaurants are. If you want to stay directly on the Plaza, check out the El Dorado Hotel, you could still go to the SMI for your massages and facials. Cafe La Haye, girl and the fig and El Dorado Kitchen @ the El Dorado are all great places to dine in this area. Enjoy your trip! :)

Mill Valley/Marin...
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Girls Weekend Getaway in California Wine Country

If you need your lodging to be walking distance to restaurants, then you might try:

Hotel Healdsburg in Healdsburg,

or

Bardessono or Villagio in Yountville.

Both are located walking distance to excellent restaurants, and they both have some limited spa facilities.

I am not a B&B person, so hopefully someone else will additional ideas for you. Most B&Bs will not have spa services and, in my opinion, may be very quiet for a girls group.

Have a wonderful visit.

NW Arkansas
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Girls Weekend Getaway in California Wine Country

Having space to socialize together in the evening after dinner and the full breakfast is what interested us about B&Bs. I do understand your point about the noise. Any suggestions that would lead us in another direction?

Healdsburg...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Girls Weekend Getaway in California Wine Country

Healdsburg is a great choice for a girls weekend......My choice would be Hotel Healdsburg or the new H2 Hotel. There are many great hotels downtown, which are all walking distance to the tasting rooms, restaurants, shopping and art galleries.

Mill Valley/Marin...
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Girls Weekend Getaway in California Wine Country

I have given you my best ideas for lodging. Personally, I like hotels for a girls weekend because they typically have more space, and nice common area facilities. They often have music in the lobby or a bar to relax and have a drink. I know many like B&Bs, but if you have couples that want a quiet romantic evening and want to go to sleep, you pretty much need to be quiet since you are in a house where everyone can hear everything.

In my opinion, with a hotel, you can be a little bit noisier with a group of girls and have a good time. Also, the rooms themselves tend to be more sound resistant in a hotel than in a home that is now a B&B.

Just my opinion. Have a great trip.

Level Contributor
34,218 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Girls Weekend Getaway in California Wine Country

We have stayed at Hotel Healdsburg, Villagio and Bardessono. Let me know if you have any questions on any of these places. HH and Bardessono are both very contemporary properties and have great pools. The one at Bardessono is a rooftop pool with nice floats and very comfy chairs for relaxing. :)

Napa
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Girls Weekend Getaway in California Wine Country

Downtown Napa has a lot of top notch restaurants- and lots of B&B's downtown (McClelland Priest, Churchill Manor, La Belle Epoque to name a few) that you can easily walk to these restaurants and bars.

For drivers, try Napa Bee Driven in either valley. www.napabeedriven.com

Have fun!

10. Re: Girls Weekend Getaway in California Wine Country

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2011, 07:39