We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casa de Fruta Accommodation

Which Hollister hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
20 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
Casa de Fruta Accommodation

Hi. Is there only one motel/hotel at Casa de Fruta and would it be a good choice after a 12 hour flight from New Zealand? We have visited Casa de Fruta before, but this time, we thought we would continue on from San Jose to Casa de Fruta to save time (1 hour), as the next day we are heading to Bakersfield and Tehachapi. Whilst Google searching, I came across exact photos for Peacock Inn at Casa de Fruta, Casa de Motel and The Inn at Casa de Fruta. Which is it? I can't find external photos of the accommodation.

10 replies to this topic
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Casa de Fruta Accommodation

You want to get off a 12 hour flight and drive to Casa de Fruta? And if you've been there before, why would you want to go again AND spend the night?

Besides, if you are on your way to Bakersfield, Hollister is not on the way. You want to be on I5 or Highway 99 and there is no good cut over to either from Hollister.

After 12 hours on a plane I would suggest finding a hotel near the airport and getting some sleep. Then take I580 east to I5 or 99.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,093 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Casa de Fruta Accommodation

I agree. I would just stay at a hotel near the airport in SJ, or downtown, which isn't far. What time of day does your flight land at SJC?

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,418 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Casa de Fruta Accommodation

I am assuming you are arriving at SFO and not SJC after your 12 hr flight? What time are you arriving? Assuming you're landing daylight hours at SFO and if you wanted to get a head start and avoid traffic the next day, I might spend the night around Livermore. We're all confused with your choice of Casa de Fruta.

But as far as I remember, there is only one motel on site.

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,687 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Casa de Fruta Accommodation

Yes, there is only one motel at Casa de Fruita- The Inn at Casa de Fruita. I like the Casa de Fruita, and it is probably about an hour drive from the San Jose airport. There is a lot to see and do at this place and a good place to pick up some items for your drive and your travels in California.

www.casadefruta.com/visit-accommodations.php

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,246 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Casa de Fruta Accommodation

There is only one motel there, and it’s alternately called the Casa de Fruta Motel or the Peacock Inn. It actually is on the direct route from San Jose to Bakersfield. Hollister is its mailing address, but it is not in the town of Hollister itself but on Hwy 152, the quickest way from 101 to 99.

I like Casa de Fruta and I stay there occasionally just because I like it. The room rate is a bit high for the facilities, but the amenities and atmosphere are very nice. I’ve reviewed it on this forum. After a 12-hour flight and the pleasures of TSA, customs, baggage retrieval, and vehicle rental, whether it is the best choice for someone flying over from New Zealand is another issue. You know your own endurance and tolerance best, and you’ll have to decide whether you want to drive the 50 miles (80 km) after landing, to save an hour of travel the next day. There are far worse places to stop over than Casa de Fruta.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
20 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Casa de Fruta Accommodation

Thanks so much. I totally get your point, we are creatures of habit, we like Casa de Fruta and last time we were there spotted there was a restaurant and motel, so just thought it was a novelty, but didn't check it out properly. We are just trying to get closer to Bakersfield on Day 1 as our next day is pretty full on. We travel to the USA every year around this time. We have done this route to Bakersfield before. My partner is a train buff, so some of our itinerary acommodates any terrain with train tracks..... Our itinerary is San Jose train shop, Bakersfield, Tehachapi, Mojave, Palmdale, Lancaster, Barstow, Kingman, Flagstaff, Page, Antelope Canyon, Kayenta, Canyon de Chelly, Hopi Indian Reservation, Sedona, San Bernadino, San Luis Obispo, Carmel and back to San Francisco. We start by driving to San Jose from San Francisco.... I appreciate your suggestions, will look into this.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
20 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Casa de Fruta Accommodation

Thank you. We land in San Francisco about midday, then pick up a rental car and head to San Jose. We usually stay at the Days Inn (no longer a Days Inn) or Ramada, Santa Clara. We may stick with this.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
20 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Casa de Fruta Accommodation

Great thank you. It's good to get local knowledge. Hah, we love Casa de Fruta - there's no place like it for us! We land around midday in San Francisco. I will look at Livermore, have heard of it. See my other replies.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
20 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Casa de Fruta Accommodation

Excellent thank you. I will consider all this helpful information. We usually drive this far after landing, but will consider other options.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,418 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Casa de Fruta Accommodation

CC- no need to respond individually as TA doesn't let you reply with original post. One post is sufficient m

Now it makes more sense with your need to visit the Train Shop - in Santa Clara and practically walking distance from my house and I drive by it daily to work. Had no idea it's such a big draw. If you think you can truck on after visiting Santa Clara, go for it. However, there is commute traffic to the Pacheco Pass after ? 3pm. I know people who live on the other side of the pass and commute to the San Jose area for work as well as plenty of folks going home to Gilroy etc.

Livermore doesn't make sense if you're going to the train shop. It's either San Jose/Santa Clara, Gilroy (lots of motel near the outlets), or Casa de Fruta.

Edited: 05 May 2014, 04:41
Reply to: Casa de Fruta Accommodation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hollister