We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hyatt Regency or Hilton Resort?

The South (of the...
Level Contributor
463 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Hyatt Regency or Hilton Resort?

We want something nice -

but we have kids -

Ideally we'd like a QUIET nice place - or is that possible in Huntington?

or is there something in the best locale for activities the kids would want to do?

Do people go swimming at Huntington? - i mean other than polar bears? :D I get nervous w/the kids & the ocean!!! Is there a well-monitored area - and thus we could get a hotel near that?

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hyatt Regency or Hilton Resort?

oh my gosh...is HB kid friendly? are you kidding..we run the one of the most premier Junior Guards programs in the USA during the summer time. This program is run more towards the Hilton(actually North of it) so if you stay at the Regency you are away from it going on during the summer time. The Hyatt Regency has a great kids club if yours are young. They also have boogie board rentals, chair rentals etc and cabana rentals on the sand with concierge service. I love the Hyatt Regency as it is more of a resort than the Waterfront Hilton. It is also more upscale too. I think you would really like it and it is also quiet since it is more expensive than the other places, the younger, partier crowds tend to be at the Best Western. The beach is very well monitered during the summer time. The are very proactive here. Which means that instead of waiting until you NEED help, they will come to you and warn you when you are near a riptide, waves look too big for you etc. just to warn you.Plant yourself near a lifeguard tower for extra security. If you are coming in the winter time..then go to the beach near the pier. Lifeguards are in tower 1 near the pier off season.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hyatt Regency or Hilton Resort?

Just be aware that both hotels are across the busy Pacific Coast Highway from the beach, although this is not clear in their pictures. The Hyatt has a pedestrian bridge to the beach parking lot. But know that the kids can't just tumble out of the room and be there. It has a pool and a jacuzzi and grounds that the hotel wraps around, where the kids can play.

I haven't stayed at the Hilton, but it looks very nice. (Checked it out, but didn't go in.)

If your kids are of an age that they can go off on their own, neither the beach nor the pier are a far walk for them.

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hyatt Regency or Hilton Resort?

ok...since I live right next to the Regency..I went and took some photos for you of the bridge and the street (PCH). you can up access them by looking in my profile or go the the TA pages of this hotel and see them. I also added pictures of the fire pits along the beach where us locals do bonfires on the beach. Most tourists don't know about these and that this is a favorite evening thing we like to do. We roast hot dogs and make Somores. They are full by evening in the summer.

The Regency is a RESORT not just a hotel. it is recessed back from the street and built up high so you can view the beach while sitting by the pool. The pool area is very nice. The whole hotel is very nice. You cannot tumble down into the street like the previous poster stated.

Got any more questions or need more pictures let me know.

kent
Level Contributor
190 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hyatt Regency or Hilton Resort?

Stayed at the Hilton for a few days in September and its a great hotel and across the road from the beach

there a pedestrian crossing etc

big pool aswell

saw the Hyatt and that also looks great i heard that its more of a resort and so may suit you better especially as there is a bridge over to the beach....

Huntington is a great town-try and visit Newprt beach and Laguna beach too as they are both fab

you can surf Huntington and kids can use boogie boards if they are watched i guess as some of the waves in September were HUGE!

the water was cold in September-day time temperature was around 20-25 odd degrees and blue sky every day

have a great time x

Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hyatt Regency or Hilton Resort?

I live in downtown Huntington as well. The Hyatt is the premier hotel/resort. The Hilton is nice too however it's just a tad older.

Swimming is great in Huntington. As with any beach you should error on the side of caution. If the surf is big stay in shallow water and NEVER dive into the waves! The ocean strength can be deceiving.

6. Re: Hyatt Regency or Hilton Resort?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Huntington Beach