We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for rainy days in January 2010

Kentucky
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for rainy days in January 2010

Hubby and I will be visiting some family in Huntington Beach next week. Looks like cool temps and lots of rain! We will be staying at Best Western and will have a car. Any ideas for places to go or things to do when it rains in So. Cal? Tis the season, I know, but the only time we could visit.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for rainy days in January 2010

There's plenty of indoor stuff to do, depending on your interests. A few ideas-

Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach

Getty Museum in West LA

South Coast Plaza, a few minutes from HB.

Attend an event at the Honda Center in Anaheim or Staples Center. Not sure what events will be there, but they are both indoor venues.

Hope this helps!

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,246 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for rainy days in January 2010

In addition to the activities mentioned by kenish (I especially recommend the Aquarium of the Pacific), there is also the Orange County Museum of Art in Newport Beach and the Laguna Beach Art Museum, which both have great permanent collections of 20th Century California art as well as exciting temporary exhibits. If you don't mind driving in the rain, the Los Angeles Museum of Art is worth the trip, as well as the Getty Museum in Brentwood.

In Huntington Beach, there is a Photography exhibit of works by local artists at the Huntington Beach Art Center at 538 Main Street. You should also check out our top rated library and cultural center (Designed by famous mid-century architect Richard Neutra), at Golden West and Talbert which always has art exhibits. The Surf Museum in downtown Huntington Beach is also interesting.

At Dukes and Chimayo (under Dukes), you can enjoy watching the surf while you dine without getting rained on.

If you were planning on going to Disneyland and don't mind carrying your umbrella, rainy days are actually great because there are no crowds.

I'm sure you will find enough to do to keep you busy.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,077 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for rainy days in January 2010

Buy a decent raincoat and umbrella and visit Disneyland!!!

Lomita, CA
Level Contributor
623 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for rainy days in January 2010

What things are you interested in...art, music, history, film...?

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for rainy days in January 2010

Great ideas are already posted. I am sure your relatives will have their own ideas to add to it.

I would just advise you to:

Drive down PCH to Laguna Beach. Even in rain, it is a beautiful drive.

Watch the lunatic surfers that will actually try to surf the huge waves that are forcasted to come with the rain.

Maybe take in a movie at Bella Terra Mall and have lunch at one of the many nice places there such as the Cheesecake Factory or California Pizza Kitchen. Try the newly opened Gelato store across from the movie theaters. It is called Gelaot Paradiso. It will knock your socks off!

and while at Bella Terra, you might want to get a pound of See's Candy to take home. My relatives from the mid-west always like that.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,407 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for rainy days in January 2010

The Nixon Presidential Library is in Yorba Linda.Or try the new Lyon Air Museum right near John Wayne Airport.

www.lyonairmuseum.org

Maybe just drive down the coast to Laguna.Lots of art galleries and restaurants.

Level Contributor
35,221 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas for rainy days in January 2010

Aside from the Laguna Beach Art Museum, there are numerous art galleries in Laguna that are fun to browse through. There are lots of great restaurants in Laguna, also. Claes @ the Hotel Laguna is nice, you will have oceanviews there. Las Brisas is also really good and you will have pretty views here, also. www.lagunabeach.com is a nice website for this area. Have fun, even in the rain, CA needs it so badly! :)

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideas for rainy days in January 2010

I think there would be plenty for you to do in the Huntington / Orange County area - a word of caution is to try and avoid driving during rush hour in general, and especially when it rains - caution is always warranted in the rain, but in general LA traffic can reach a standstill as the extra caution people display really can slow things down.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ideas for rainy days in January 2010

Thanks everyone for your wonderful ideas. The art galleries sound interesting to me as well as the library. We will plan to drive to Laguna Beach. A special thanks to all for these suggestions and particularly for the restaurants. Have raincoats and umbrellas ready!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ideas for rainy days in January 2010

Thanks everyone for your wonderful ideas. The art galleries sound interesting to me as well as the library. We will plan to drive to Laguna Beach. A special thanks to all for these suggestions and particularly for the restaurants. Have raincoats and umbrellas ready!