We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One way from the Hyatt HB to Legoland?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
401 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
One way from the Hyatt HB to Legoland?

Is there an easy way to do this? Only want to go one way as after a day at Legoland we will be staying in San Diego. Thanks in advance!

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One way from the Hyatt HB to Legoland?

There are several ways to approach this: personally, if I were looking for the shortest driving time I'd probably just drive down Coast Hwy and pick up Superior Ave. in Newport Beach. Head away from the beach and that becomes Newport Blvd. and then you have a choice of either getting on the 73, which is a toll road, or continuing on to pickup the I-405. Depending on the time of day and how much of a hurry you are in, the 73 can save you some time for about $5.00. The 73 eventually merges with the I-5 and is usually not as full of cars.

Another way to take the trip to Legoland is to take Coast Hwy south through Newport, Laguna Beach, Dana Point and San Clemente. In San Clemente you will have to get on the I-5 for about 30-40 minutes. The coastal drive, if you have the time, will probably add 25-30 minutes to your total drive time (depending on the time of day) but it's a beautiful trip.

Once you are on the I-5 it's just a matter of driving down to the San Diego area. Carlsbad is just south of Oceanside so start looking for exit signs and destination signs for Legoland as soon as you pass Oceanside.

If you use mapquest, google maps, yahoo maps, etc. and you chart door-to-door, HB to Legoland, the info above will make a lot more sense.

Have a great time!

Edited: 08 June 2011, 21:31
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
401 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One way from the Hyatt HB to Legoland?

Thankyou so much for your helpful reply, and I am an idiot but I forgot to say the most important bit...we won;t have a car :( sorry for wasting your time. Would there be a way to get there via public transport?

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One way from the Hyatt HB to Legoland?

Best would be to rent a car, but I understand your hesitation because we drive on the wrong side of the road. ...soo...hmmmm...This wont be pretty

Taxi will cost somewhere between 200 and a zillion dollars, probably closer to 200

If you can find your way to an Amtrak station, you can take that to Oceanside and taxi from there (call ahead if you want a taxi, because they dont wait at that station for pickups)

It would be cheap, but take forever to get there by the bus system. Depending on where you are, you will be making several transfers. Check with OCTD and San Diegi transit web sites to ry that one

Maybe you could get a shuttle like Salem Transportation that goes to Carlsbad airport and ask them to drop you off at nearby legoland?...

Maybe driving on the wrong side of the road isnt so bad...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
401 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One way from the Hyatt HB to Legoland?

thanks for your suggestions. Driving on the 'wrong' side of the road really doesn't appeal to us, so we will look at other options.

Thanks!

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One way from the Hyatt HB to Legoland?

Will you be spending the night in Carlsbad? If not, where will you leave your luggage?

The easiest way to do it is to use a shuttle company or town car type service.

You can do it via public transport but it will not be so easy, especially with bags and kids. You can take buses to the Santa Ana train station (or cab or shuttle). Take either Amtrak or Metrolink to Oceanside. From Oceanside you can take a cab the rest of the way, it is under 10 miles or take the Coaster train to Carlsbad. From there take a cab.

How will you be getting to San Diego?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,231 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One way from the Hyatt HB to Legoland?

Many visitors from Oz find that they manage well driving on our side of the road.

Renting a car for a family in southern California is really the only cost effective way to get to many of our attractions!

7. Re: One way from the Hyatt HB to Legoland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 18:17