We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Huntington Beach to Burbank on a Saturday morning

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Huntington Beach to Burbank on a Saturday morning

My 17 year old son and I are coming to the Los Angeles area next weekend arriving at LAX in the late morning on Friday. I need to drop him off at UCLA on Sunday afternoon. We also have an event to attend on Saturday morning at 10:00 a.m. in Burbank. During our last college visit trip we stayed in the Marina del Rey area and traveled up the coast to Santa Barbara. This time, I am thinking of staying in Huntington Beach on Friday and Saturday night. This will allow us to either visit a couple of schools that interest him in Orange County or spend time at the beach. The main challenge is the event on Saturday at 10:00 a.m. I am renting a car. Based on "usual" Saturday morning traffic, how long should it take us to drive to Burbank from the Huntington Beach area. I am actually thinking of staying in one of the hotels out on I-5 so that we will be accessible to the schools, the beach and Burbank. Before I book my hotel in that area, does this plan make sense? Please let me know! Thanks, Moms

P.S. We will still be on the Eastern Time Zone so getting up and going in the morning shouldn't be a problem for me (don't know about my always sleeping and sleepy son!) Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Orange County
Orange County
California
Los Angeles...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Huntington Beach to Burbank on a Saturday morning

If you are going to Huntington Beach from Burbank on Saturday avoid I-5 South out of Burbank because when you hit downtown you will find that 2 of the southbound lanes are closed because of a major gasoline fire from an accident. No word as to when the lanes will be eventually opened. Also you'll run into traffic going to Disneyland and Knotts Berry Farm. I go from North Hollywood and take the 101. You can catch the 101 by taking the 5 from Burbank to the 134 going west and then the 101 south. It'll take you about 1 to 1 1/2 hours to get to Huntington Beach going that way. It's about 50 miles or so. Traffic through LA should be light morning traffic. As the day gets later you'll have beach traffic but still should be able to make it in that time frame.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Los Angeles...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Huntington Beach to Burbank on a Saturday morning

Sorry, I misread and thought you said Burbank to Huntington Beach. Going North I would go ahead and take the 5 all the way from the beach to Burbank. You shouldn't have much traffic at all on Saturday morning because you're going away from all the activities and the beach. Nothing much happens in the San Fernando Valley on a Saturday except for Universal Studios which is off of the 101 freeway west of Burbank.

3. Re: Huntington Beach to Burbank on a Saturday morning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 July 2013, 04:35
4. Re: Huntington Beach to Burbank on a Saturday morning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 July 2013, 04:14
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,577 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Huntington Beach to Burbank on a Saturday morning

Virginia's directions are misleading. The 5 Freeway is a long way from Huntington Beach. If you are staying in a hotel along the 5, you will be in jAnaheim or Santa Ana, 15 miles from the beach. I do not recommend that.

The route to Burbank from Huntington Beach requires taking the 405 to either the 605, 710 or 110 to the 5. You should have no problem going north on Saturday morning baring a major accident. Returning to HB, Coming South, the traffic will be rerouted around the connector tunnel that was closed due to the tanker fire. You could avoid it by taking the 134 to the 210 east back to the 605 to the 405.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Ana
Santa Ana
Orange County, CA
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,577 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Huntington Beach to Burbank on a Saturday morning

Correction -- It now appears that the 5 Freeway at the 2 will be closed for a few days going north. From HB

take the 605 to the 210 to 134 to get to Burbank.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
56,753 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Huntington Beach to Burbank on a Saturday morning

Unless you are staying closer to the 405 for budgetary reasons I don't think the 10-15 minutes you might save are worth an inferior hotel/location.

Here is the map for the general 605/210 route.

http://goo.gl/maps/Yb8lF

Does your son have an interest in majors yet?

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,577 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Huntington Beach to Burbank on a Saturday morning

I agree with Scott. If you are coming all this way and want to be near the beach -- stay near the beach, not the freeway. The savings in time is only a few minutes. However, the U.S. Open of Surfing will be going on in Huntington Beach July 20 to 28 so beach close hotel rooms may be at a premium.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Huntington Beach to Burbank on a Saturday morning

Thanks all! My son is attending a Film Production program at UCLA. Over the past few years we have toured USC, UCLA, Loyola Marymount, UCSB and several others. He is interested in Film Production or Game Design majors. We have not visited the Orange County schools, specifically Chapman or UC Irvine yet. He is a bit anxious but excited about the camp so I thought Huntington Beach would be a great diversion. He has been invited to meet with several cinematographers at a conference on Saturday in Burbank so we have to be in Burbank by 10:00 a.m. staying until 1:00 p.m. I don't want to be stressed while driving to Burbank so I was thinking of staying out near the 405 (not I-5) thinking it might avoid a bit of traffic.

My son loves all that California has to offer. Why else would I be sending him to California for film camp when NYU is just a short train ride from our home?! Why indeed! I have not seen anyone so excited about a major or locale EVER. It doesn't hurt that dad is an airline pilot so airfare isn't an issue nor really is the distance (5 hour ride home...closer than some of his friends who are thinking of heading to Boston to college).

Because we can't miss the Burbank appointment, we may just come down to Huntington Beach and Orange County for the day and head back to LA later in the evening.

I will keep looking. Huntington Beach just sounds so great....Moms

Mentioned in this post
Orange County
Orange County
California
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,577 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Huntington Beach to Burbank on a Saturday morning

There is not a "traffic" issue getting from the beach area to the freeway. Given the US Open, however, you might want to opt for beach locations north of Huntington Beach and closer to your destination. Seal Beach, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach and Hermosa Beach are great beach communities. All have good freeway access. Unfortunately, Long Beach does not have good beaches because of the artificial breakwater that prevents natural wave action there.

Mentioned in this post
Seal Beach
Seal Beach
Orange County, CA
Get answers to your questions about Huntington Beach