We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Huntington Beach plus another city??

atlanta
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Huntington Beach plus another city??

My husband and two young adult children will be arriving in L.A. October 11. We plan on quickly seeing the touristy sites and leaving to go to Huntington Beach for 2 nights. We are staying a total of 4 nights in Southern California. I would like to possibly go down to San Diego or another city but need suggestions. Or should we just stay in Huntington Beach and drive down to San Diego for the day to see the sites.

Also, is Tijuana worth seeing?

LA
Level Contributor
10,036 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Huntington Beach plus another city??

What does "quickly seeing the tourist sites" mean? LA is a huge city. Are you planning on doing this the day you arrive and then going to Huntington Beach?

With a total of 4 nights in southern California, I think it's a poor use of your time to attempt to visit Tijuana. Especially as it can take 4 hours or more to get back through US immigration at the border stations.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,291 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Huntington Beach plus another city??

San Diego is about 90 minutes from Huntington Beach by car so it is possible to do a day trip but you may enjoy a night or two there. The San Diego Zoo is definitely worth seeing and there are many museums as well as a good theater in Balboa Park. The zoo by itself is worth a day and then you may want to have dinner in La Jolla or Old Town or the Gas Light district. SeaWorld is also a popular attraction. There is also the Zoo Safari Park where animals are kept in a natural environment http://www.sdzsafaripark.org/

On the way to San Diego it is often nice to stop for lunch in Encinitas. I like the Beach House and Chart House right on the ocean.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,974 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Huntington Beach plus another city??

Is that 4 nights total in So Cal or some time in Los Angeles before coming down to Huntington?

If you have 4 nights total, I'd do two nights in LA and two in Huntington and do San Diego some other time. Although ti may seem that LA, HB and SD are all close as the crow flies, traffic makes travel in the area difficult sometimes. 60 miles can take 2-3 hours. And then trying to see sites (sights) on top of that is too much.

atlanta
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Huntington Beach plus another city??

Four nights total. Been to Los angeles Before so only going to see walk of fame and head to Huntington unless its better to go before we leave for airport on way home. We don't ever sit still for long so it's no problem moving around between cities.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,974 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Huntington Beach plus another city??

So then do 2 nights HB and 2 nights San Diego. If you are flying in and out of LAX, I might start in San Diego and then make your way back north so you have a short drive back to LAX. If you are flying in and out of SNA, it doesn't matter where you start really.

atlanta
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Huntington Beach plus another city??

I already booked Huntingon Beach for first two nights. How long would it take from San Diego to LAX to get to airport on a Tuesday morning. Flight leaves around 1:30.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,974 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Huntington Beach plus another city??

How long depends on when and what you are willing to put up with drive wise.

So for me, if I am in San Diego and have to be in LA for the day, I'd rather leave SD at 6AM and have the trip take two hours or so than leave at 9AM and have it take 3 1/2 hours.

http://goo.gl/maps/5Qzy6

If you leave SD at 6-6:30AM and get to LAX at 8:30AM, you can go someplace nice for breakfast like Manhattan Beach.

atlanta
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Huntington Beach plus another city??

I think we are going to just stay in Huntington Beach the whole time. My husband is afraid it will take too long to get to airport so we will just make a day trip to San Diego. Thank you everyone!! :)

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,291 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Huntington Beach plus another city??

Another option for going to San Diego is the train. Some relatives of mine recently took the train for a day trip to S.D. and loved it. Since you will have a car, you can pick up the train at Santa Ana or Irvine Station.

Level Contributor
35,452 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Huntington Beach plus another city??

Nearby Laguna Beach is also worth spending time in. I would not go to Tijuana. Enjoy your trip! :)