We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nice drive south from huntington Beach

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
28 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
nice drive south from huntington Beach

Driving south one day on vacation. can anyone suggest stops on the way that are interesting

and places for lunch.

Is san Juan capistrano worth the stop.

Enjoy art, beaches, nice vistas, resale shops

Thanks in advance

Linda

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nice drive south from huntington Beach

South to San Diego?

I like the PCH, and stopping at the Mission San Juan Capistrano (detour) for its resale shops.

San Clemente's main downtown street has some nice resale shops.

Old Town Carlsbad is another good choice for more shops, as is Cedros Avenue in Encinitas.

Beaches and Vistas, I like Newport Beach and taking the Ferry from Balboa Peninsula and Balboa Island, the Crystal Cove area, the beach view along the Coast Highway in Carlsbad, and of course, the gem at the end of the road, Torrey Pines State Beach and Natural Reserve, hopefully you can time to be there at Sunset.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c174834/Califo…

So.Cal
Level Contributor
336 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nice drive south from huntington Beach

All great suggestions from Darkbeer, except Cedros Ave. is in Solano Beach, not Encinitas. Encinitas also has some interesting shops and restaurants right on the Coast Highway 101.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,007 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nice drive south from huntington Beach

Ummm Solana Beach.........

And I would not go that far. I might go as far as San Juan Capistrano. There is a nice shopping area close to the Mission and some good restaurants, but I think Laguna Beach has much more to see, more shopping and better dining.

I might head first to Laguna Beach, bop around, have lunch and come back up through Newport Beach, head down to Balboa Island, see the shops there, use the ferry to cross over to the peninsula and drive back to HB from there.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
28 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nice drive south from huntington Beach

Thankyou so much for the great info.

We were not planning to make it all the way to san diego. that will be another trip.

I figured that with stops and lunch along the way this will take all day

.I would love to make it to Torrey pines park though.

thanks again

Linda

5. Re: nice drive south from huntington Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2015, 05:19