We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girls Weekend!

British Columbia
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Girls Weekend!

Two approaching 40 ladies from Vancouver, BC looking for a 4 day getaway without kids in early May. We like to shop, sun (probably mostly pool but a beach walk is nice) and enjoy good food, drink and maybe dance (top 40) one night if the mood strikes us. We are planning on using the SNA airport. Price isn't a deciding factor although the $550 plus per night I have seen at the Resort at Pelican Hill, Montage and Surf and Sand seems a bit rich. 4* is a minimum requirement for hotels. Can anyone tell me what area sounds like our speed? Newport being close to the mall sounds good but perhaps Laguna or Huntington has more to offer for us and a drive to the mall is all we need. Recommendations for hotel, restaurants and bars would be great.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
26,812 posts
5,785 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Girls Weekend!

For that price I would stay either at the Huntington Beach Hilton Or Hyatt

…hilton.com/en/…index.html

huntingtonbeach.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

With a car I would just drive to Fashion Island - you have the funds to have a great beach side vacation....Fashion Island is more on a hill; while I like to go through the shops and have lunch at Cheesecake Factory there, the hotels around there feel more corporate to me.

Laguna is also a good place to stay.....its smaller, fun shops to go to, etc.

such as Inn at Laguna Beach

innatlagunabeach1-px.trvlclick.com/…

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Girls Weekend!

I would venture to Laguna Beach for your hotel stay. I have stayed at the Surf and Sand Hotel and I would say its worth the price as long as your in a Tower Room with the beach in front of you and not the pool. I have not stayed any other place in Laguna Beach, so I will let others give advice to you on that. I would suggest you spend a day taking a drive up the coast and stop at Crystal Cove, Corona Del Mar, Newport Beach's Fashion Island (not on a hill) and Balboa Island, take the ferry over to Newport Beach Pier for a look then make a final stop at Huntington Beach pier/Main Street, if you wish. Its about a 30 minute drive end to end without stopping and it is a beautiful drive! It would be a fun day for you!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,481 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Girls Weekend!

I think Huntington Beach might trend too young for you.

To be at a beach I'd look at Laguna Beach and the Inn at Laguna Beach.

If you are okay being further away from the beach, I'd rather be at the Marriott Newport Beach Resort & Spa in Fashion Island - Newport Center than Pelican Hill or the Newport Coast Villas.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,345 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Girls Weekend!

The Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach would be perfect. huntingtonbeach.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html It does NOT "trend too young." There is a gorgeous pool area across from the beach (accessible over a short bridge) and one of the most wonderful spas I've ever seen in a hotel, with great massage and facial services.

From there, you are a 10 minute drive from Newport Fashion Island and Corona del Mar to the south or the wonderful little town of Seal Beach to the north. You can get to Laguna Beach in less than 30 minutes.

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Girls Weekend!

Well, I wasn't going to "pick a bone" about the "trend to young" statement :) but what first came to my mind was...."the young" cant afford a place like the Hyatt! (bite my tongue...40 is still young. But in case it was a reference to children of parents with deeper pockets, I would say, more so in summer but not in May.

Teanna, Where did you choose to stay?

Edited: 10 April 2014, 17:01
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,481 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Girls Weekend!

Main Street where you go eat and shop trends young, very young, not necessarily the Hyatt Regency. The later at night scene in HB is also very young, more the under 30 set than the over 40 set.

So if you go to spend the whole vacation by the pool and then driving to Fashion Island and points south, the age of the average Main Street patron might not matter, but if you want to walk to places as a 40+ to shop I think the shops on Main Street have much less variety than Laguna Beach.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,345 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Girls Weekend!

Actually there are MANY restaurant/shopping areas in Huntington Beach besides Main Street and we have some excellent restaurants. In the Main Street area, Cuccina Alissa, Zimzalla, Sparks, 25 Degrees, Sugar Shack, Sushi on Fire, Jans, Avacado, Avila's El Ranchita, as well as Dukes and Sandy's do NOT attract or desire a young clientele. Additionally, we now have many restaurants at Bella Terra Center on Edinger. There are also literally hundreds of good restaurants spread around town. My favorites include Capone's, Black Trumpet, and Super Mex on Beach, Mona Lisa, Harbour House Cafe, Skooners Sunset (They have music).

I'm also a fan of almost all the restaurants on Seal Beach's Main St. My point is just that there are hundreds of choices if you stay in Huntington Beach and you need not fear being overwhelmed by drunken 20 somethings, as feared by Scott (unless you deliberately seek out places like Hurricanes's, Sharkeez, and Gallagers).

Edited: 10 April 2014, 22:16
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,481 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Girls Weekend!

Jan's, Sugar Shack, Avocado Cafe, Avila's El Ranchita and 25 Degrees don't seek and don't want a young clientele? Could have fooled me since that is who is in those spots when I go to them.

And you don't need to go into Hurricane's, Sharkeez or Gallagher's to be overwhelmed by the 20 somethings like happened last week. I sure hope those U.S. Marines who got stabbed get better.

…freedom.com/ocregister/gallery/n3bo6d-b8817…

9. Re: Girls Weekend!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2015, 06:16