We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attending Eagles concert at the Forum in Jan. 2014

Which Inglewood hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Duluth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Attending Eagles concert at the Forum in Jan. 2014

Hello!

My husband and I are attending an Eagles concert at the Forum in Jan. 2014. Current plans are to fly into LA the day prior to the concert, attend the concert, and fly home the following day, so we'll be staying in the area for 2 overnights. For such a short trip we're wondering if we can get by without renting a car, so my questions are -- should we stay in Inglewood and if so, can we get to/from the Forum by way of walking from our hotel (currently thinking of staying at the Rodeway Inn as it appears to be the closest to the Forum, plus has decent reviews), which will mean returning to the hotel after dark. Is the area safe? OR are cabs/shuttles readily available for events at the Forum, particularly after the concert? There's a chance that we may add on to this trip, but for now I just want to make sure we're all set for the concert. Thank you so much for any thoughts or suggestions. We are SO excited to see the Eagles!!

19 replies to this topic
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Attending Eagles concert at the Forum in Jan. 2014

To be honest, the Forum is not in a great area so staying as close as possible to it is not really something that I'd suggest. You'd do a bit better if you stayed at one of the big brand name hotels at LAX, which is not that far from the forum but the hotels there will generally be a lot nicer than anything closer to the Forum. If you stay at LAX, you could get to the forum with a relatively short taxi ride. The issue would be what you'd do with the rest of your time - neither LAX or the forum area are really that well located with regard to public transit, and taking taxis everywhere would get expensive. If you would be interested in doing an organized tour, however, many of the tours like www.starlinetours.com will pick up from LAX area hotels. If you aren't interested in an organized tour, I'd probably look to a different area entirely and rent a car or plan for some not-so-cheap taxi rides to/from the forum. Other areas like Santa Monica, Westwood, Hollywood (especially good without a car as excellent public transit and tour bus access) and West Hollywood would be much more "in the middle of it all", but since you are here such a brief time, may not matter that much.

Duluth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attending Eagles concert at the Forum in Jan. 2014

MachThree - just wanted to say "thanks" for your suggestions. We've decided to stay near the airport and rent a car for the few days that we're in LA. While in the LA area we're going to see the Getty Museum, the Grammy Museum, and whatever else we may be able to fit in during our stay, but mainly we'll be seeing the Eagles at the Forum. Can't wait! Thanks again!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,808 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Attending Eagles concert at the Forum in Jan. 2014

I missed this question originally since you posted in the Inglewood forum (and not sure why there's an Inglewood forum!) - but I'm so happy to hear how you've changed your plan. Inglewood is a dodgy area - they may be reopening the Forum, but the area is not a good location for visitors.

Duluth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Attending Eagles concert at the Forum in Jan. 2014

Again, I really appreciate those "in the know" assisting out-of-towners with suggestions for accommodations, etc. If my husband and I would have relied on what the Rodeway Inn desk clerk told us, we would have been walking to/from the Forum at 10:00 at night. Doesn't sound like a very good idea, does it. Thanks, again!

San Diego
Level Contributor
10 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Attending Eagles concert at the Forum in Jan. 2014

following up on this post, we just need an overnight stay near the Forum, as we are coming up from San Diego for the Paul Simon/Sting concert in February. Not planning any sightseeing, etc., just a place to sleep. So is somewhere close to the concert venue "good enough?" Suggestions appreciated.

Duluth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Attending Eagles concert at the Forum in Jan. 2014

We're actually staying at the Best Western Airpark Hotel on W. Manchester. The hotel got decent reviews and it takes care of our needs, mainly to sleep. The other reason I went with this hotel and its' location is that it appears pretty straightforward when it comes to driving to/from the Forum and as we're not familiar with LA traffic, this seems our best option.

San Diego
Level Contributor
10 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Attending Eagles concert at the Forum in Jan. 2014

Thanks for that info-I'll check that hotel out. The hotel we were thinking of is Crystal Inn & Suites, which is just 2 miles south of the Forum.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,935 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Attending Eagles concert at the Forum in Jan. 2014

I would say that the Best Western on Manchester is not in a safe/good area.

The LAX Inglewood hotels that are on Century Blvd, close to the 405 are the "safest", but as said in other posts about Inglewood, it unfortunately is one of the highest crime rate cities in California and one of the highest violent crime rate cities in the state.

I would never stay east of the 405 no matter how inexpensive the hotels were, nor how expensive the hotels west of the 405 are.

Deborah, I'd get a hotel near LAX like the Four Points, Hilton Garden Inn, etc. Saving $50 on a hotel room is not worth the added risk.

CabinOnALake, I would seriously change hotels. Manchester east of the 405 is really not a place I'd stay. Even moving 1/2 west to the Holiday Inn Express Los Angeles - LAX at Manchester & Airport Blvd would be a big improvement. Even closer to the airport on Century would be better still.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Attending Eagles concert at the Forum in Jan. 2014

If you want to go to a concert at the forum and have a car, and that is your main purpose for being in LA, then one of the LAX hotels on Century Blvd. west of La Cienega Blvd. probably makes the most sense. Hotels in other nearby areas like Culver City or El Segundo would also work. East of the 405 (and, really, east of La Cienega Blvd.) for a hotel is a bad idea.

Duluth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Attending Eagles concert at the Forum in Jan. 2014

Scottca075, I REALLY appreciate your advice. I had no idea that the location of this hotel was still in a questionable area of the city. I will look at hotels closer to LAX. Here remains my main concern and maybe you can help me with this...........my husband and I will be renting a car and we're just not familiar with driving in/around LA. Any thoughts on avoiding heavy traffic areas? The concert starts at 8pm. What time would you suggest heading to the Forum (from the LAX area)? Any suggestions for routes, particularly after the concert? Thank you SO much!

Reply to: Attending Eagles concert at the Forum in Jan. 2014
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Inglewood