We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm planning a trip to Jamestown for gold mining, any help ?

TEMECULA
3 posts
Save Topic
I'm planning a trip to Jamestown for gold mining, any help ?

I'm planning a trip with my family (teenagers) in 09' to Jamestown for some gold mining. any suggestions on which tour to take, best time of year and good place to stay? Thank you, Brett

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,317 posts
6,137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm planning a trip to Jamestown for gold mining, any help ?

The Jimtown Gold Prospecting Advemture is a good place to go.

www.goldprospecting.com/familytrips.htm

Spring is usually wonderful around Highway 49 area - its sunny and warm (but not too hot.).

Be sure when you are in the area to go to Ironstone Winery...; you will see there the largest gold nugget you would have ever seen (note - its about 20 miles from Jamestown - easy drive, but do have a map on how to find it...as you will need it.)

http://www.ironstonevineyards.com/

Its fun to go to including the teenagers.

Of course Moaning Caves, Columbia State Historic Park are all fun as well.

In the area we have stayed at Best Western Sonora Oaks - which is a fine Best Western

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g33108-d82194-R…

Since this is a vacation you might want to think about wandering 40 minutes or so into the Sierras. In that case,

Pinecrest Resort:

http://www.pinecrestlakeresort.com/

Pinecrest Chalet

http://www.pinecrestchalet.com/

Mentioned in this post
Columbia State Historic Park
Columbia State Historic...
429 Reviews
Columbia, CA
Sonora
Sonora
California
South Carolina
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm planning a trip to Jamestown for gold mining, any help ?

Several years ago I used this company to prospect. The guides set me up in a "glory hole" in Wood Creek, there in Jamestown. They showed me how to collect ore from the river bank, use the sluice box, and pan. Yes, I found gold! Just as Mother nature deposited it there in the river.

It was back breaking work. But if I were to do it again, I would use this company!

You should go in the spring. Make reservations. They might have an overload due to school children.

In addition to Best Western, Sonora is not that far away. I would consider staying the night in Sonora.

Mentioned in this post
Sonora
Sonora
California
TEMECULA
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm planning a trip to Jamestown for gold mining, any help ?

hello Mimi, thank you for your advice, i live in Temecula wine country and will for sure check out thier winery. i was thinking of staying at the National Hotel (because of the ghost..oooooh!) i think my wife will like it. the hotel also recommends the same place to pan for gold so i will get intouch with them, and for sure look into your other suggestions. thank you again, Brett

Mentioned in this post
Temecula
Temecula
California
TEMECULA
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm planning a trip to Jamestown for gold mining, any help ?

Stateref, thank you for your post, but i'm not sure which place you were referring to for gold mining???? thank you,Brett

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm planning a trip to Jamestown for gold mining, any help ?

Here is a list of our favorite things in gold country - including a great company that we have been panning /sluicing for gold with twice.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i12008-Gold_Cou…

South Carolina
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm planning a trip to Jamestown for gold mining, any help ?

PAN4FUN - Same place that Mini mentioned.

California
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm planning a trip to Jamestown for gold mining, any help ?

Gold panning is also offered at Jamestown Gold Panning. http://www.jamestowngoldpanning.com You learn to pan with a miner that actively mines for a living.

The Gunn House is also a nice place to stay. Only about 3 miles up the road in Sonora.

Columbia is a nice historical town. It only has trough panning so not as great as actually working on the creek.

There is a lot of fishing and camping about 30 minutes away in Pinecrest (in the National Forest).

Mentioned in this post
California Gold Panning
California Gold Panning
84 Reviews
Jamestown, CA
Sonora
Sonora
California
8. Re: I'm planning a trip to Jamestown for gold mining, any help ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2009, 08:19
Get answers to your questions about Jamestown