We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sihanoukville without the sleaze

Which Sihanoukville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Penarth, United...
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Sihanoukville without the sleaze

Would like to spend up to a week in Sihanoukville but I understand it's rather cheap and sleazy in places. Are there particular areas/hotels I should choose to avoid this.

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sihanoukville without the sleaze

every area in Asia has its sleaze and one mans sleaze is anothers Paradise :-)

oking for an upper class? Perhaps try Sokha Resort, Independence hotel beaches /area but be willing to pay for it

Edited: 22 February 2012, 02:27
Penarth, United...
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sihanoukville without the sleaze

Whilst I agree that everywhere has some sleaze (and not just Asia), it's not always on display for those who aren't seeking it. We're in Siem Reap at the moment and haven't seen even a hint of it though I'm sure it's around. I just need to know if there's anywhere in Sihanoukville where it's not in your face or is it just one big brothel?

Sihanoukville...
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sihanoukville without the sleaze

The brothels of 'SinVille' are long gone.

There are some bargains around the markets, as well as many really nice beaches. Then there's the Islands which are well worth a visit.

The town itself has many lively bars, nice restaurants and comfortable, well priced, places to stay.

The town has really changed in the 6 years i've lived here. It's developing and generally going the right way.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,532 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sihanoukville without the sleaze

Go to the Sokha Resort - nice beach that is private and away from the sleaze. We got a good deal on Agoda

Regards

Suzi

manchester
Level Contributor
23 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sihanoukville without the sleaze

yes snooky is very sleazy,so full of sleaze infact that even some hard core sleaze addicts couldn't handle it and had to go back to Pattaya Thailand where things weren't quite so sleazy...

Seeing that i just spent 3 months there with my girlfriend,i wonder where they kept all the sleaze......?

stick to Torremolinos pleaze

Sihanoukville...
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sihanoukville without the sleaze

Nice one PP, but you ain't going to keep these media worshiping people away so easily ..... let them come here and make their own minds up.

That said, maybe they would need to have their own mind to do that.

Penarth, United...
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sihanoukville without the sleaze

Hey! I hope it's not me who's being referred to as 'media worshipping'! I've spoken to people who've visited and read TA and I just find it difficult to beleive that it could be as bad as I've read. I've been to Patong and Bangla Road and it's not my scene but it's easily avoided. I just want to know if there's a part of Sihanoukville where the sleaze, or prostitution if you like, isn't in your face.

Edited: 22 February 2012, 15:38
Wirral U.K.
Level Contributor
1,370 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sihanoukville without the sleaze

We were there in September and apart from some very low key girly bars around Golden Lion plaza I never found it sleazy at all.

Shame really got nothing against the odd bit of sleaze.

Nothing at all like Soi Bangla Road or Pattaya.

We really liked Snooky and if they could sort out regular reliable flights from BKK the place would really take off.

manchester
Level Contributor
23 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sihanoukville without the sleaze

For someone who wants to avoid "the sleaze"-you seem to have found Patpong-why on earth would anyone want to go to Patpong unless to actively seek out Sleaze....You have just been assured by several long term experienced sihanoukville travellers what a great place Snooky is....yet you persevere in your hunt for "sleaze"-"media -worshipping" is not the adjective i'd use.

california
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sihanoukville without the sleaze

OK so we have concluded that S'ville is low sleaze, but where are the friendly hangouts? Can anyone advise on best beaches and island resorts to visit. I have seen some reviews of beach garbage, just wondering is that a seasonal thing. I am visiting in April.

Cheers