We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back Report 2 weeks on Otres 2

Essex
Level Contributor
65 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Just Back Report 2 weeks on Otres 2

What a great place! I think there is something for everyone. We visited Angkor Wat at the tail end of a Thailand trip at the start of last year, found we were keen on Cambodia and wanted to see more.

We stayed at Otres 2 and really really liked it. Clean, white beach, fringed with Casuarina trees, gently shelving clear blue warm sea with maybe a dozen guest houses and hotels. Who could wish for more?

We stayed at the Tamu, (see review) and found plenty to occupy ourselves. We hired Kayaks and Hobies from Otres Nautica and Kayaked up the mangrove river and I am reliably informed there is good snorkelling off the small island directly off shore. We walked most days between Otres 1 and 2, about 1½ km of empty beach with a few sunbathers and yoga devotees. Otres 2 is a bit busier, more bars, more sun beds, and activities available, but still very laid back. 10 minutes away by tuk tuk you have Sihanoukvillle, younger back packers, and vibrant. Parts are a bit commercial, but that can be useful and fun in small doses, and a plethora of places to eat and drink to suit all tastes and budgets.

We sailed on a yacht for a day, quad biked, fly boarded, explored on mopeds. I loved wandering through Psa Leu looking at the range of fruit, vegetables, watching the coconut milk and cane juice being squeezed, jewellery made and repaired, money changers, meat and fish, it was vast and had everything. The supermarket in Downtown has the essentials such as milk, water, alcohol, tonics, chocolate, all at good value, then a juice and cake at the Starfish bakery round the corner.

We took a tuk tuk to the waterfall, which obviously gets very busy judging by all the day huts and hammocks, perhaps not too spectacular in the dry season, but quite pretty and a change from the beach.

We also spent a Saturday night at Otres Market which was a pleasant evening, a tattooist, a clothes stall, various food stalls, a bar and live music in very mellow surroundings.

I followed this forum for more than a year prior to both this visit and visiting Angkor Wat last January and got very worried before my visit to Sihanoukville, reading how it is seedy, dangerous, a hot bed of crime and not as much to offer as Thailand. We saw some evidence of sex tourism, but less than in Thailand, and at no time felt any risk to person or property. The beach is as good as any I have visited in Thailand. There were two areas at Otres 2 where it was filthy, but elsewhere no worse than anywhere in Asia. We liked the fact that it is less developed and still very good value and everyone we met could not have been nicer or friendlier. People have different expectations and we certainly fulfilled ours in Otres 1 & 2 and Sihanoukville. We would return at the drop of a hat. Anyone that is thinking of going – do not listen to the detractors!

Red Shark Charter
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours, Night Tours, Private Tours
Scuba Nation
Scuba & Snorkeling
SUP Otres Beach
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Night Tours, Private Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
2,947 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Just Back Report 2 weeks on Otres 2

Thanks Anne, that's really helpful. I have contacted Hannah and reserved a room. In terms of restaurants and bars is there much in the vicinity?

Thanks again

X

Essex
Level Contributor
65 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Just Back Report 2 weeks on Otres 2

Yes about six to ten on Otres 1 and loads more down at Otres 2. Countless in Sihanoukville itself if you can be bothered. We particularly liked the Secret Garden next door & the White Sands Annexe about three down (more basic, but great Amok & curry!)

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
2,947 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Just Back Report 2 weeks on Otres 2

Thanks again Anne......just 11 months to go :-(

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Just Back Report 2 weeks on Otres 2

Thank you Annie, great report, I have not been keen in Sihanoukville in the past but need to go and have another look,,currently in Kampot and met some other tourists who have enjoyed it and thought Otreas was the place to be.

Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Just Back Report 2 weeks on Otres 2

Currently in the middle of a 7 day stretch in sihanoukville. I go to Otres everyday to relax on the beach and eat good food.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Just Back Report 2 weeks on Otres 2

Great review ...very helpful for our next weeks travel plans ..thanks

South Shields...
Level Contributor
729 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Just Back Report 2 weeks on Otres 2

Great trip report, thanks for sharing and helping to straighten out the bad rep that this area of Cambodia has.

I stayed there myself next door at the Secret garden last April, my only regret is we only stayed for 10 nights.

my short trip report tripadvisor.co.uk/…49687895

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Just Back Report 2 weeks on Otres 2

Thanks Annie , we are looking at visiting next January 2015, so your review is very helpful.

france
Level Contributor
36 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Just Back Report 2 weeks on Otres 2

We are staying at Tamu at the moment - I'll do a review later, but just to say we are in room 20- upstairs and on the left as you look at the pictures. We have a sea view and a nice little terrace plus we have an indoor bathroom. Not sure if we have a standard room or better, but it is really nice! Some of the downstairs rooms have no view at all , some face a wall. There is a fair bit of building work going on along the strip, including the laying in of a new road, so would suggest a visit sooner than later before the vibe changes.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
91 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Just Back Report 2 weeks on Otres 2

Thanks for your report. We will be in Sville shortly too and wasn't expecting much. Glad you enjoyed your stay. If you have any other suggestions, that would be much appreciated. We will be staying in Sville for 1.5 days.