We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget hotel for older single traveller

Which Sihanoukville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Budget hotel for older single traveller

Currently in Cambodia, looking to maybe go to Sihanoukville en route to Thailand. Is high season, would much prefer to stay at Oches Beach but probably out of my budget.

Any advice on good, budget priced CLEAN hotel to stay, somewhere so as not in the middle with party central:-) Am an older traveler, but still like to get out and about, not ready for the grave yet:-)

Or is Kampot a better option? Just looking to see more of Cambodia and preferably beach.

Thanks in advance.

Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget hotel for older single traveller

If you want beaches in cambodia then Sihanoukville is pretty much your only option. You can easily find accomodations for around $20 USD per night. Otres has a lot of bungalos on the beach. These tend to be pretty basic with no aircon and shared bathrooms. For a more upscale option at Otres you could try the scecret garden. Their bungalos have ac and private bathrooms, but will run you $50-60 per night if they have any vacancies at this short notice. Personally i find Otres too quiet in the evenings so i stay on serendipity beach and head to Otres during the day. I tend to not book ahead and just look for something when i arrive. Even during the busy season you should be able to find something decent if you are flexible. My most recent stay in January was at the new sea view villa. Rooms range from $10 with no ac to $25 for a room with a view and ac. First night we stayed in a $25 room, but while it was clean and large it overlooked the bars on the beach and was loud at night. We then moved to a $20 room for the remainder of the week and it was perfect.

I love Sihanoukville and think its definitely worth visiting, but a lot of people find it seedy. If you are looking for picture postcard beaches then you are probably better off just heading to thailand.

Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget hotel for older single traveller

I'm going to stay a couple of nights at The Small Hotel, which has a Scandinavian touch to it as far as I get it (if that's a guarantee for "cleaness" is up to you to decide). It isn't at the beach where the party is (but there's a free transportation service). Looking at the reviews it seems like a place that might suit you. I also read an interview with the owner in a Swedish newspaper. They seem like nice, decept people. The price is reasonable.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget hotel for older single traveller

Will check these two out, though the Small Hotel seems to be booked out for my dates. Sea View Villa looks like my budget, as Secret Garden isn't unfortunately.

Heading to Thailand from Cambodia, so not expecting picture postcard, just want to experience another part of Cambodia as is my second time here, and Thailand. Clean hotel and not ''overly noisy'' is main criteria:-)

Thanks for help:-)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget hotel for older single traveller

We are older too....and splitting our time.3 days at Don Bosco (free shuttles) and Papa Pipos,on Otres.Both very reasonable.

Sihanoukville...
Level Contributor
363 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget hotel for older single traveller

Try Aramona Guesthouse on Beach rd. A/C, Hot water, Flat screen T.V. Boutique style hotel, very clean and quiet ( even though it is in the centre of the action so to speak!). Massage spa, Cocktail bar, PROPER Espresso coffee machine and great barista's, best coffee in town imho. $25 per night

Edited: 16 February 2014, 07:27
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget hotel for older single traveller

Thanks everyone for the referrals, checking them all out now :-) Is Don Bosco really as inconvenient distance wise as they say? Seems such good rates for what you get.

Sihanoukville...
Level Contributor
363 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget hotel for older single traveller

Don Bosco IS a great place to stay, except for the fact that it is a fair way from anywhere. A fair way from anywhere in this town though usually only means a $1 moto or $2.50 tuk tuk fare!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget hotel for older single traveller

Thanks Hotdigr,I might try there then for the first few days for R &R then see what my options are moving forward.

Again, thanks to everyone!

nanette447
Level Contributor
297 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget hotel for older single traveller

We have just returned from our first visit to siganoukville and stayed in a lovely guest house near independence beach called clearwater guest house. It's 5 minutes walk to the beach, which has about a dozen shacks serving great food. It's a couple of dollars in a tuk tuk to the downtown area, but we loved indepence beach so much we stayed there most of the time. Rooms at clearwater are from $25, fab hosts, and like an oasis with its tranquilly. We loved it so much, we are planning on going back next year!

10. Re: Budget hotel for older single traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2015, 07:17