We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth it?

Level Contributor
179 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Is it worth it?

Read some mixed reviews, some saying the beaches are good and not so good, same for the nightlife.

Im fairly conscious on time and i dont want to waste it if its not all worth bothering..

Iv been to patong, langkawi, koh phi phi, krabi... Does the beaches / nightlife at sihanoukville resemble any of these?

Thanks

Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth it?

On the surface Sihanoukville doesnt compare to thai beaches. It doesnt have the picturesque views or crystal clear water or the range of acivites you will find in thailand. What it does have however is personality. For me, the thai beaches felt like a well oiled tourist machine. The only thais i saw on the beaches were trying to sell me something. In sihanoukville you will run into cambodians eating and drinking in the restaurants, shopping in the market, and their kids will be playing in the water. It has a really cool laid back feel. Otres beach is clean and quiet with alot of small bars and restaurants to chill at during the day. Serendipity beach, while it can be dirty and somewhat seedy, has a lot of beach bars and restaurants that are busy in the evenings.

Is Sihanoukville a must see when going to cambodia? For most people probably not, but i have gone there three times had a great time and will definitely go back.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,084 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth it?

Rudd-

How long do you have for your visit to Cambodia? If you have limited time, I woud recommend seeing the temples instead, possibly Battamabang, which isn't very far away and also Phnom Penh for a bit of city and culture. I have been to many spectacular beach resorts around the world and Cambodia isn't among my Top 40. Decent culture, fun for hanging out and drinking beer and watching the sunset, yes, but I recommend you see other places first.

Edited: 08 June 2014, 22:31
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth it?

Some like it ,some hate it. I fall into the latter . But , as you point out , mixed reviews. I guess the only answer to discovering if it's your scene or nor is to go and find out for yourself

Sihanoukville...
Level Contributor
382 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth it?

Shaddrach, you put it very well. If you are expecting a Phuket, Kuta, Surfers Paradise, Waikiki style experience, you will be severely disappointing. That's not what Sihanoukville is about. It's a lot more laid back and a lot less "touristy" in most area's. As I say to most people - this town polarises people, they either love it or hate it, there doesn't seem to be many "meh, it's ok"style opinions, as steve said. Me, I love it, thats why I live here. Come down and try it out if you have the time!

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,342 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it worth it?

I really enjoyed my 6 nights in Snooky this year, so much, I'm going back for 12 nights next January :).

Once you walk away from the pier area along the beach towards Otres, its very nice.

6. Re: Is it worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 06:15