We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Ping Yao from Xi'an

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Topic
Day trip to Ping Yao from Xi'an

Hi, I'm considering to do a day trip from Xi'an to Ping Yao, I will have about 8 hours to explore Ping Yao, is it sufficient? Thank you!

10 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Ping Yao from Xi'an

personally I feel 8 hrs is more than enough for Ping Yao.

West Yorks
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Ping Yao from Xi'an

Yes, I stayed 2 days because I wanted to take my time but you can easily see it in 8 hrs. It's a very small but picturesque town and pleasant to stroll around in the evening.

California
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Ping Yao from Xi'an

Yes, if you don't mind spending 5 hours or more on a round-trip by high speed train, 8 hours is fine for Pingyao. The ancient town itself is fairly compact. If you have more time, a visit to the Wang Family compound is, in my opinion, worthwhile, but you need more than 1/2 day to include this.

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Ping Yao from Xi'an

You can get a feel for the town in 8 hours. I personally feel that the main charm of Pingyao is staying in one of the old courtyard hotels, and that of course requires an overnight stay.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Ping Yao from Xi'an

Hi everyone, thanks for the reply. How long does it take to get from train station to the town area by cab? And how early in advance should I be at the train station? Thank you!

West Yorks
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Ping Yao from Xi'an

I got the bus right in front of the train station. Took about 20-30 mins.

I would be at the station about 30 mins before departure but it's actually a small station.

Edited: 03 August 2017, 08:58
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Ping Yao from Xi'an

Hi, I have decided to stay a day in Ping Yao. I will arrive in Ping Yao around 12 noon, I have an option of a morning train or afternoon train back to Beijing. If I plan to visit Wang compound as well, can I do it on the same day or should I leave it to the second day instead, in this case, I will have to take the afternoon train back to Beijing. Thank you!

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
11,987 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Ping Yao from Xi'an

Wang on the 2nd day, get there when it opens and you'll have plenty of time to catch the G616 train from Pingyao dep 13:40 arr BJ West 17:28. Actually, if you check out that morning from Pingyao and take your stuff with you down to Lingshi (where Wang Family Mansion is), you can get on that train at Lingshi East at 13:15 and save yourself the drive all the way back to Pingyao.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Ping Yao from Xi'an

Hi, thanks for the reply. Is there any luggage storage service at Wang compound?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
11,987 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to Ping Yao from Xi'an

Yes I think there is. If you are getting a car/driver to take you from Pingyao to Wang's (which is a lot easier and may be worth the cost over public transport), your stuff can be kept in the car and driver will watch over, then when done, will drop you at the Lingshi East station.

Reply to: Day trip to Ping Yao from Xi'an
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pingyao County