We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice

london
Level Contributor
216 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Advice

Hello.

I'll be flying into Beijing and thinking about coming to Pingyao for a short stay.

What are the must sees in the area?

Are they in walking distance or is transport required?

Can you recommend any authentic traditional ancient hotels/accommodation that makes you feel you are stepping back in time?

Likewise can you recommend any traditinal tea houses?

Is it easy to get to Pingyao from Beijing?

Is it easy to get to xi'an from Pingyao?

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thank you

2 replies to this topic
Xi'an, China
Level Contributor
197 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice

Hi, bubblebath89:

It is not hard at all to connect Pingyao from Beijing

Bullet train leaves from Beijing West Staition and takes about four and half hours ride to get to PingYao.

D2001 departing at 07:46, arriving at 12:08

G605, departing at 10:28, arriving at 14:32

D2005, departing at 15:29, arriving at 19:42

Above are the bullet train between Beijing and Pingyao

Ticket costs between 190 Yuan to 230 Yuan per person in Chinese currency

There are are bullet train reaching to Xi'an from PingYao as well.

Suggesting you to stay inside the walled town of Pingyao, and book it in advance, you can use tripadvisor to find good ones. Please allow me not to share with you some of them in names as people may have different options on the hotels, but for sure stay in the traditional courtyard guest house inside the town is a must. The night of the town is pretty nice and interesting.

Outside the town, make sure not to miss ZhenGuo Temple and ShuangLin Temple.

ZhenGuo temple was built in the Tang dynasty with many of its architecture not touched since late 920sAD.

ShuangLin temple has all the Buddhist carvings and frescoes remaining from some 1000 years ago.

When you buy the ticket for visiting any of the sites in the town, it is usually a package ticket that includes all the sites valid for 3 days ( if I am correct ).

Hope this information would be helpful to you, and if there is any question,please feel welcome to let me know.

By the way, the temples are outside the town,if you could use public bus to reach there on budget, otherwise, you need to take taxi, it is not in walking distance.

Xi'an, China
Level Contributor
197 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice

By the way, to add some information, once you come out of the pingyao train station, proceed your way to the bus station in front of the square, it costs only 2 yuan to take you to the town. the taxi there does not usually use meters, just negotiate the price.

Reply to: Advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pingyao County