We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luxury near King City?

San Francisco
1 post
Save Topic
Luxury near King City?

Are there any luxury hotels / inns in the vicinity of King City?

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,847 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luxury near King City?

Is the Paso Robles area too far to stay--it's about 40 min's so. of King City. For luxury lodging around Paso Robles, there's the Summerwood Inn (www.summerwoodwine.com) a Victorian mansion that's on a winery estate off Arbor Rd., and Villa Toscana (www.myvillatoscana.com) in the vineyards of Martin & Weyrich Winery on Buena Vista. Summerwood rates start about $250 and Villa Toscana suites are from $375.

Mentioned in this post
Paso Robles
Paso Robles
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Las Vegas
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Luxury near King City?

65 miles away you have Monterey, plenty of luxury hotels there. That or the 2 star Keefers Inn in lovely (haha) King City will have to do.

Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Keefer's Inn
Keefer's Inn
242 Reviews
King City, CA
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
16,064 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luxury near King City?

If you're willing to go a few miles out of the way, try the Hacienda at Jolon, on a county road southwest of King City. It was William Randolph Hearst's country estate. It's part of the property of Hunter Liggett army base, but the Hacienda is concessioned out as a hotel. Because it's on a military base, you'll need to show your driver's license, car registration, and proof of insurance.

I need to mention that when I stayed there (2004 or 2005?), it had a different operator than the present one. So I can only speak in general terms, based on my experience; YMMV.

On luxury standards, it isn't the Ritz, but it's so unique that you'll never forget it. The rates are very reasonable (starting at $50 or so)., with several kinds of rooms to pick from including tower rooms. The decor is Spanish Colonial, and the interiors look original. There are some ruins of the historic town along the way, which seems to have been quite a place. Mission San Antonio de Padua is within walking distance. You can also take backroads rides or hikes in the mountains and over to the coast. There are lake recreation areas a little south.

The Hacienda restaurant is open only for lunch and dinner. I had a steak dinner that was about as good as any I've ever had. I don't know if the kitchen staff changed, but the menu looks fairly similar to what I recall.

Here is their website: http://hacienda.newhalltelecom.net/

Mentioned in this post
The Hacienda
The Hacienda
43 Reviews
Jolon, CA
Mission San Antonio de Padua
Mission San Antonio de...
110 Reviews
Jolon, CA
del mar, ca
Level Contributor
6 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luxury near King City?

Hacienda may be closed? During a driving tour of the central coast my wife and I stopped by the Hacienda on Sunday, October 8, 2006. There was no sign of life at this unique property. The restaurant is definitely closed, appears to be out of business. A hand-written sign on the door indicated rooms might be available, but I wouldn't count on it.

Mentioned in this post
The Hacienda
The Hacienda
43 Reviews
Jolon, CA
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
16,064 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luxury near King City?

I just looked for their website, and it is gone. Oh, noooo! I liked the Hacienda. I hope an operator is found so it can be reopened as the cozy, peaceful country retreat that I remember fondly.

Mentioned in this post
The Hacienda
The Hacienda
43 Reviews
Jolon, CA
6. Re: Luxury near King City?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 10:29
Get answers to your questions about King City
Recent Conversations