We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to visit Komodo Island by myself?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How to visit Komodo Island by myself?

Hi,

I am planning to visit Komodo and/or Rinca and I don't really have the budget to pay for an organised tour. Is it possible to visit by yourself, and what is the best island?

Thanks for your help,

Mathieu

jakarta
Level Contributor
666 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to visit Komodo Island by myself?

If you 1 person it is more expensive to hire boat just for yourself. Go to tour agencies along the main road and inquire about group tours. There are 1-day tours and overnight and multi-nights tours. You can compare prices and itineraries.

Jakarta, Indonesia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How to visit Komodo Island by myself?

Hi All,

So is it possible to arrange the one day trip to Komodo island? The main road you mean refer to which road? I am planning to go to Bajo myself next month.

Thanks,

Jean

jakarta
Level Contributor
666 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to visit Komodo Island by myself?

You wont miss the main road when you get to Bajo. Many jasa tour & travel you can arrange boat hire.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to visit Komodo Island by myself?

You can visit tour agencies at Soekarno-Hatta street, the more people get into the boat, the cheaper for the price it would be. But if you want to take a chance, you can go to the labuan bajo port directly and take bargain with local sailors there, every boat have different offers for islands to visit.

Due to your one day trip, i think Rinca is the most possible island to be cisited (if u desire to watch komodo dragons), the view is better and wilder than Komodo Island. Pulau (island) which are recommended: pulau kanawa, pulau kelor.

But if you have more than one day, you should visit Pink Beach where is well known for its red sands. It's located near Komodo Island, and hiking in Gili Lawa will make extra gift for your eyes.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to visit Komodo Island by myself?

Salut Mathieu,

I'm also planning on visiting Komodo by myself. I'm going diving though for the first few days which I believe is a different admission price altogether. Was thinking of asking my dive instructor about the costs or who to go with. If you find out any more info, do post...I'd be curious to know.

Cheers!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to visit Komodo Island by myself?

cacayzs - so the main road and Soekarno-Hatta street are same, or different?

Puchong, Malaysia
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: How to visit Komodo Island by myself?

I would like some help on komodo island. I am planning to Lombok for 5 days trip. Can anyone share with me if I could do komodo island on 1 day or 1 night trip. Appreciate some tips for budget way around this places. Thank you

Kaunas, Lithuania
Level Contributor
53 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to visit Komodo Island by myself?

Looking for some advices:

1. What is better - book tours to Komodo and Rinca islands in advance (via internet) or to look for the tours when you are in Labuan Bajo? I have heard, that it is cheaper to book tours when in Labuan Bajo than to book in advance via internet ?

2. What is better (and cheaper) - to take 2D/1N tour and to sleep on board, or to take 2 separate daily tours by returning every evening to Labuan Bajo and sleeping in hotel?

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to visit Komodo Island by myself?

Hi,

1. Better booking in Labuanbajo. That way you can actually inspect and see what you are getting. Book in advance and you could end up with anything.

2. Better to take the 2D/1N tour, as you can't get to Komodo in one day from Labuanbajo

Kaunas, Lithuania
Level Contributor
53 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to visit Komodo Island by myself?

Thanks infoaddict !!! :) If I am taking 2D/1N tour, can I take all my luggage on the boat? Or I must leave it in the hotel? And how much (approximately) could cost 2D/1N tour by visiting Komodo and Rinca islands? I need price just for orientation (not to overpay for the tour when I'll be in Labuan Bajo)