We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is La Jolla Cove safe

Franklin, Michigan
Level Contributor
32 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Is La Jolla Cove safe

I have been reading about crime sprees and the murder of a surfer in La Jolla and and feeling a bit nervous about our upcoming trip. We are travelling with our two young sons and are wondering about crime in La Jolla and the Torrey pines area. Should we be worried? What should we avoid doing. Thanks

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,815 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is La Jolla Cove safe

I do not know which stories you have been reading or about which "crime sprees". LaJolla is a very upscale area. When someone gets murdered ,it is often because of their personal life and will have no effect on you and your family. The surfer in question (if I remember correctly) was not murdered at laJollaCove but just lived in laJolla.

I think you are worrying needlessly. Crime can and does occur in every city and town in this country. Just come and have fun!

Franklin, Michigan
Level Contributor
32 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is La Jolla Cove safe

Thanks so much for your reply. I know crime can happen anywhere - I live in a suburb of Detroit so I'm always a little leary of new places and not knowing what to avoid. We don't walk the beach at night or frequent rowdy bars so I think we'll be OK.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,910 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is La Jolla Cove safe

Walking on the beach in La Jolla at night is perfectly safe. We do it often in the summer. It's quieter (tourists have gone to bed), and sometimes you can see the grunion "run" (little fish that come on the beach to lay eggs). There are also no rowdy bars in La Jolla as far as I know. Loud, maybe, but not rowdy as in bar fights.

Level Contributor
36,638 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is La Jolla Cove safe

This is a very safe, upscale area of San Diego, you will have a great time here! Are you taking the little ones to SeaWorld? We had a wonderful time here this past December when we visited the area for our anniversary trip. Have fun with your family! :)

Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is La Jolla Cove safe

My family and I (from Northern Canada) just returned (three young daughters) and I can tell you that it is a secure, charming, family friendly location. The thought of any crime makes me giggle only because of the upscale area and the thousands of vacationers. We didn't hear swear word much less see any sort of crime sprees.

What a BEAUTIFUL place.

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is La Jolla Cove safe

I agree with everyone that has posted so far. La Jolla is a beautiful, upscale, lovely place. The people could not have been friendlier. We felt very safe here while visiting this past April. We never saw a thing to make us wonder about our safety. If it is going to happen, it is going to happen. Have a great time, from one MI traveler to another! Tyme

7. Re: Is La Jolla Cove safe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 00:16