We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naturalist for the Tide Pools

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
395 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Naturalist for the Tide Pools

Can anyone recommend a naturalist for the tide pools that we could hire for a couple of hours rather than pay $85 per person for a group of seven young kids.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,078 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naturalist for the Tide Pools

I do not know to what you are referring when you say"rather than pay $85per person etc. etc."???Where are you seeing that sort of price????

You can go to the tide pools with out paying any money.

You can go to the Birch Aquarium and see their tide pool exhibit.

Naturalists usually work for museums/or aquariums and don't usually hire out

like private guides so not sure what exactly you need??

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
658 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naturalist for the Tide Pools

Hi whatyousee,

If I were you, I'd call Birch Aquarium and ask to speak to one of their naturalists, and then I'd ask them if they would "moonlight" and spend a couple of hours with your group for a pre-arranged price. If this doesn't produce the result you want, ask if one of their summer interns would be able to do it.

I was just up there with my three young nephews, and they have very well informed interns showing kids around their tide pool exhibit. I'm sure they'd love to earn some money after hours.

Also, Riffsmom is right about the tidepools at the beach being free to visit. Any adults could go down there and help kids find starfish, sand dollars ,etc.

Elizabeth Hansen

La Jolla, California

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,437 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naturalist for the Tide Pools

The 2 best places in San Diego for tide pools are: (a) in La Jolla at the 300-400 blocks of Coast Boulevard. Parking is free for 2 hours. (b) Cabrillo Natonal Monument in Point Loma. Take the right turn after entering the gate, and drive down the hill to the first parking lot. Cabrillo is $5 for the car for the day. Cabrillo closes at 5 p.m. every day.

Of course you will want to go to these places when the tide is low. Find out when the low tide time is for the day you will be there at this page: www.hribar.com/san-diego-tide-chart.html

I don't think a naturalist is necessary at all. If you see something you can't identify, just take a picture of it and then later show the picture to a biologist at Birch Aquarium.

4. Re: Naturalist for the Tide Pools

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2011, 05:18