We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going on trip from sf to San Diego

San Francisco, CA
3 posts
Save Topic
Going on trip from sf to San Diego

We are driving from San Francisco to San Diego with our two kids (10 and 7). Any suggestions on way to San Diego ??? We definitely going to Sea World any other suggestions ???

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,588 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going on trip from sf to San Diego

How many days total do you have? When are you coming? What kind of things does your family enjoy? Museums? Theme parks? The beach? Desert? Mountains? Historical sights?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going on trip from sf to San Diego

Let's see. the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, a boat ride from Long Beach, Newport Beach or Dana Point.

LEGOLAND Resort in Northern San Diego County (Carlsbad).

San Diego Zoo.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c174834/Califo…

San Francisco, CA
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Going on trip from sf to San Diego

We are Thurs - tues and we are looking for fun relaxing thing to do and places to stay.

Thanks E

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going on trip from sf to San Diego

Also, lots of Theme/Amusement Parks in both Northern and Southern California that haven't been mentioned....

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c4071/Californ…

San Diego...
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Going on trip from sf to San Diego

If you leave aside Thursday and Tuesday for travel, you have 4 days to spend. It would be good to spend about 3 days in San Diego which includes a visit to La Jolla. You could do the Safari Park and/or Sea World and have some beach time in San Diego. USS midway would be cool to visit for a few hours with your kids.

Perhaps driving down 101 to Santa Barbara for the first night would be cool and I recommend the Fess Parker's Doubletree hotel there. You could then drive along the coast and spend time in OC as was mentioned above and then come to San Diego.

I presume you are doing this during the Easter Break.

Edited: 07 March 2012, 05:47
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,588 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going on trip from sf to San Diego

6 days?!?

That's not enough time for SF to San Diego and expect to have a fun relaxing time. There's almost 600 miles separating SF from San Diego. I suppose if you took the fastest route (I-5) through the Central Valley you could make it work, but you won't have time for the coastal route if you had that in mind. It's just too long of a drive with too much to see/do in your short frame of time.

We're you planning on including LA, Disneyland, too?

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going on trip from sf to San Diego

You posted on the La Jolla Forum, but your question is really more for the general San Diego Forum, since you are looking at activities like Seaworld.

I agree with Kibblesmom that driving from SF to SD would not give you much relaxing time. It takes 7 hours straight driving on i-5 (only stopping for gas and restroom and no traffic) between the two cities. I usually fly to SF, which takes an hour, and gives me a lot more time to enjoy the city.

San Francisco, CA
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Going on trip from sf to San Diego

No was going to do it in June and just looking for ideas on where to stay etc but I'm getting the feeling 6 days not enough to drive down ! Don't think we'll do coast route as have done that before but thought having car good idea to get around

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going on trip from sf to San Diego

You are right about the car. If you do decide to come to San Diego, a car is essential with family. Although we have public transportation, it is more cumbersome to get around than if you have your own car.

10. Re: Going on trip from sf to San Diego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 14:41