We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which company to use for a snorkel tour?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
200 posts
235 reviews
Save Topic
Which company to use for a snorkel tour?

My boyfriend and I are coming from Colorado, and we are looking to do a snorkel tour in La Jolla (we'd like to snorkel on our own afterwards as well). After doing some research, I found two companies, La Jolla Kayak and San Diego Bike and Kayak Tours.

Has anyone used either company? Is one better than the other? I feel like I can't really go wrong, but just thought I'd get some opinions.

Thanks

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which company to use for a snorkel tour?

I think you won't go wrong with either one. However, if you are experienced snorkelers, why not just go by yourselves in the first place?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
200 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which company to use for a snorkel tour?

Well, since we aren't from the area, we're not sure of the best places to go. We know the La Jolla cove and La Jolla Shores areas are supposed to be good, but there's a lot of water there - we don't know where all of the animals hang out. (We're from Colorado and I can count on one hand the number of times I've even seen an ocean).

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
658 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which company to use for a snorkel tour?

Both companies are good, and I think you're smart to do a tour the first time out and then go back on your own. Underwater expect to see garribaldi (our orange-colored state fish) and maybe some large bass and a few harmless leopard sharks. Above the surface, there will be seals, sea lions, beautiful pelicans, sea gulls (of course), and lots of frigates.

Enjoy.

Elizabeth Hansen

www.LaJollaTravelInformation.com

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
200 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which company to use for a snorkel tour?

We just returned from our trip, and I wanted to thank you all for such good information! We ended up going with San Diego Bike and Kayak Tours, and had a good experience. The staff was very accommodating, and very helpful in telling us other places to try snorkeling to see more animals, etc. I would highly recommend them for a snorkel tour.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which company to use for a snorkel tour?

Glad to hear you had a good experience. Thank you for sharing.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which company to use for a snorkel tour?

We went with SD Bike and Kayak last week and were pleased as well. The staff they have in their store are knowledgeable and helpful. Store is set up well for dressing, bathrooms etc. Don't bring "stuff" with you as kayak has little extra room. I'd say you need to be somewhat fit for this. You go quite away from the entry point to the destination point and back on kayak-snorkel tour.

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Which company to use for a snorkel tour?

Would advise you and others NOT to use Hike, Bike, Kayak in La Jolla Shores, or at least not to go on a tour with them led by "Dave" or "David." We booked a kayak and snorkel tour for 7/3. The office was chaotic around our departure time and we left very late. Dave gave very little instruction before entering the water and then gave almost none while on the water. Paddled ahead of the group mostly without looking back. When my son got a cramp he did NOT help him back to the kayak, but kept snorkeling.

Edited: 10 July 2012, 17:19
8. Re: Which company to use for a snorkel tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2013, 05:17