We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stingray shuffle

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,734 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Stingray shuffle

Just some advice for those who want to get into the ocean at this time of the year. I have seen quite a few people who had to be treated for stings at La Jolla Shores this week. Teach your kids to do the "stingray shuffle" as they walk into the water. This will give the rays notice that they need to get out of the way.

New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Stingray shuffle

What do you mean by the 'stingray shuffle? And if I do get stung what is the best way to treat the sting? Are the medical facilities in LaJolla that help tourists?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stingray shuffle

abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=2395307&page=1

>>How to Stay Safe

Do the "stingray shuffle." Shuffle your feet back and forth on the ocean floor when you get into the water, which warns rays you are there. They'll clear out.

If barbed, get immediate medical attention. For immediate first aid, soak the affected area in hot soapy water. Heat breaks down the stingray venom, which is protein-based. The soap helps prevent infection, which can be even more dangerous long term than the sting.<<

And both UCSD and Scripps have Urgent Care facilities in the La Jolla area.

ND
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Stingray shuffle

Thanks for the heads up! This is concerning to me. Would wearing water shoes help prevent stings? Are they a threat all along the San Diego coast, or just particlarly along the La Jolla shores?

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,734 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stingray shuffle

Sting rays can be found all along the coast, but they like the warm water near the beach. You really should not have to worry because if the rays know you are near, they will leave. Mostly people get stung when they accidentally step on a stingray. The ray will do the only thing he can to defend himself, which is to use this barb on the end of his tail.

Water shoes won't help much.

As I said before, do the "stingray shuffle" (as described by Darkbeer above) and you should have no problems at all.

5. Re: Stingray shuffle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2013, 10:17