We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Kayak tour company in La Jolla?

London, United...
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Topic
Best Kayak tour company in La Jolla?

Hey!

We have seen numerous companies offering Kayak tours, (all seem to have slightly mixed reviews) around La Jolla caves, but can anyone recommend the best company for service and tour?

Also - would you recommend staying in La Jolla or closer to San Diego center (we are only be there 3 nights in July!)

Thank you!

Becky :)

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
658 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Kayak tour company in La Jolla?

Hi Becky,

There are several kayak companies all located within a few blocks of each other on Avenida de la Playa in La Jolla Shores (a neighborhood with San Diego - where I happen to live).

La Jolla Kayak is good and so is OEX (which just changed its name to EDCA - Everyday California Adventures).I'd pick between these two. They both have websites and you can compare prices etc. there.

I JUST came back from a walk on La Jolla Shores Beach. The sun shining and the beach is beautiful (as usual).

Cheers,

Elizabeth Hansen

www.LaJollaTravelInformation.com

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,814 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Kayak tour company in La Jolla?

Elizabeth already gave you the names of two companies. There are some other outfits that do the kayaking tours. Although they all do pretty much the same tours, I also like La Jolla Sea Cave Kayaks.

In order to recommend that you stay in La Jolla or in another area of San Diego, we need to have more information about your interests and your budget.

La Jolla is a beautiful small community within the city of San Diego, and within La Jolla there different neighborhoods. Kayaking takes place in La Jolla Shores, which has a beach that attracts many families. It has a dozen or so restaurants, all in one street. There are 3 hotels in this area.

The other neighborhood where many tourists go is the "village" (downtown) area, with many more restaurants and hotels, and the famous La Jolla Cove with its wildlife (harbor seals, sea lions, birds).

La Jolla does not have much nightlife, and if you are interested in that, you may want to look into Downtown San Diego or Little Italy.

Again, let us know what your interests are, and we can proceed from there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Kayak tour company in La Jolla?

Thanks for the advice!

We will be there on our honeymoon and have a car to get about in. In terms of budget, we have a bout £450 for a 3 night stay (I think this is roughly $675).

We are doing a road trip and this will be the last stop before Las Vegas, so although we would like to explore the gaslamp quarter, we would prefer to make the most of the beach scene while there - somewhere central may be best ( we are unsure). We would like some nice restuarants to eat out in the evening, but my other half doesnt drink, so driving wouldnt be a problem if we had to :)

We so want to visit Seaworld and perhaps the Zoo too while we are here.

Thank you!

Becky

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
658 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Kayak tour company in La Jolla?

Hi Becky,

Since you are interested in kayaking, I suggest you try Hotel La Jolla, which is a few blocks from La Jolla Shores Beach. It's a really attractive property and most rooms have an ocean view.

The La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club and La Jolla Shores Hotel are right on the La Jolla Shores Beach, but they are a bit pricier.

Another, more affordable, option is La Jolla Cove Suites right on the La Jolla Cove - about a mile from La Jolla Shores. Nearby, Scripps Inn just just won a place on the 2013 Conde Nast Travelers Gold List. Both of these offer ocean views.

Cheers,

Elizabeth Hansen

www.LaJollaTravelInformation.com

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,814 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Kayak tour company in La Jolla?

You already received great information about accommodations in La Jolla. Other beach areas that you might consider are Pacific Beach and Mission Beach. Since you have a car, any of these areas have easy access to attractions like the zoo, SeaWorld, and the Gaslamp District. They are only 10-20 minutes away, depending on which beach community you choose.

You should pose your hotel question on the San Diego Forum as well, so you can get more input from other TA members.

London, United...
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Kayak tour company in La Jolla?

We booked the Omni in San Diego for our stay, but still plan to go kayaking in La Jolla.

So far, although a little bit more (about $10), La Jolla Sea Cave Kayaks seem to have the better reviews on websites I have researched - is it worth paying the extra for them? Would we need to book in advance, we will be there first week of July (the 3rd is the day e plan to drive through)

Thanks for your help! Not long to go now!

Becky :)

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Kayak tour company in La Jolla?

Hi Becky !

Well you are going to be here for the very busy 4th of July holiday. So if the kayaking in La Jolla is something you really want to do it would probably be safest to book in advance. It would be a shame to get here and then find out they had no more room. Although, I honestly have no first hand knowledge and don't know if that happens very often

I just had a look on their website and they do say that "Reservations are strongly suggested" You can cancel up to 24 hrs with a $3.00 fee but otherwise get a refund.

I should also mention that being a holiday and summer you need to go to La Jolla early to get parking. You wouldn't want to miss out because you couldn't find a place to park.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,814 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Kayak tour company in La Jolla?

In summer you may see a hundred or more kayaks in the water, since the tours are very popular. As elizzie pointed out, you will be here on the 4th of July which is one of the busiest beach days of the year, so I would follow her recommendation to make a reservation. I do not know if LJ Sea Cave Kayaks is better than the others, but go with the reviews and decide accordingly.

9. Re: Best Kayak tour company in La Jolla?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2014, 05:15