We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re: " Stench in LaJolla"

Charlottesville, VA
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Re: " Stench in LaJolla"

My husband and I are bringing our 14 year old granddaughter from FL to CA for her first time June 1 -4th. We are booked in an OF suite at La Jolla Cove Suites for 3 nights before traveling on up the coast. Is the bad smell that was reported earlier still a problem? We booked this hotel for the view from the balcony and want to spend time enjoying it, eating breakfast on the rooftop,etc., but sounds like being outside close to the cove may not be so pleasant if there is a "stench". Can anyone update us on this issue and whether we should be thinking of moving to another hotel where this wouldn't be a problem and how pervasive is the smell in terms of location in La Jolla?

Thank you for your advice.

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Re: " Stench in LaJolla"

Links for a couple of segway (I do not have personal experience) and kayak rental companies--this would be a unique thing to do as well.

anothersideofsandiegotours.com/i-4948916-la-…

http://www.lajollakayak.com/rentals

Charlottesville, VA
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Re: " Stench in LaJolla"

Thank you so much.

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Re: " Stench in LaJolla"

Up the beach at the windansea neighborhood the surf is great and there are surfers out there almost all day until the sun goes down. It's a fun place to lounge on the benches, sand, or big, flat rocks and watch the action. Near your hotel, to the left of the beach in front of you from your hotel room window, is a cove. The seal cove is on one side, and pelican rock is on the other side. You will see scuba divers and others in it, but I wouldn't let your granddaughter in it. We call the people who use that cove shark bait because there are sharks in that area and every once in awhile, one mistakes a human for a seal.

As for the stench, I don't smell is up in the business district in front of your hotel, but a few weeks ago I was down by the cove and although sometimes the wind blew the other way so it wasn't bad, other times it would waft and everyone would cover our faces because it was nauseating. I ate dinner at George's on the Cove and most of the time I didn't smell it, but once in awhile the powerful stench would suddenly hit us, we would over our noses, and then it would go away again.

It's too bad for the businesses along there, and it is shocking the city has let it get to this point because that much animal feces of any kind in one area is a health hazard. Humans have chased too many animals to more limited areas and now refuse to be mature enough to work out a plan that protects the little area they have left while making their waste nonhazardous to the community.

Edited: 01 May 2013, 15:18
La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,771 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Re: " Stench in LaJolla"

<<<...every once in awhile, one mistakes a human for a seal.>>>

No disrespect to above poster, but the last time a shark mistook a human for a seal in the Cove was in 1959. Scuba divers are seeing more sharks, but they are mostly sevengills or soupfin sharks, which are harmless to humans. People swim in the La Jolla Cove all the time. Ask the life guards if you feel uncomfortable.

I want to add that there are different mammals in the different areas: Children's Pool about a 10 minute walk south of the hotel has seals, while the area near LJ Cove Suites has sea lions. Sea lions are the ones that bark and climb on rocks.

Edited: 01 May 2013, 17:23
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Re: " Stench in LaJolla"

Be sure to stop by the Birch Aquarium http://aquarium.ucsd.edu/. Not real big, but nicely done. There are some special exhibits and activities for kids, but plenty to keep adults interested.

16. Re: Re: " Stench in LaJolla"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2014, 07:16