We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Jolla Shores Trip coming up - suggestions

Indiana
Level Contributor
243 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
La Jolla Shores Trip coming up - suggestions

With the help of this board, I've rented a house accross from la jolla shores beach and scripps (close to the corner of La Jolla Shores Dr and El Paseo Grande). Planned the trip about a year ago and can't wait. Going with two grown daughters (21 & 23) and my wife and we're looking forward to sleeping late, hanging out on the beach and eating, drinking and relaxing. Some questions:

- Restaurants -- looks like we should be able to walk to places in LHS (sounds like parking is tough) and will need to drive to others, but have circled: The Shores, Regents Pizza, Caroline's (think it is very close), Piatti, Sushi Mori and driving to Karl Strauss, Puesto and George's. I'll toss out the places and let the women decide. Any others to consider? Can I wear jeans to all but George's?

- To Do: other than going to Scripp's acquarium and a Padres game, we don't have much planned. Any "must do's" for us? How far are we from the cove and the children's pool? We'll for sure want to take in the seals and wildlife.

- After the Padres game, is the area a good one to walk around for a late drink/snack?

- The beach: sounds like we should be in for good weather. Any watchouts for swimming? Sounds like we don't need to worry about leopard sharks attacking us, but shuffle feet for rays?

- Any other advice?

Thanks very much for your help in planning our first trip to the area.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Jolla Shores Trip coming up - suggestions

Hi - Sounds like you have a good spot for your rental. Lucky you!

"- After the Padres game, is the area a good one to walk around for a late drink/snack?"

Yes. The area will be busy and bustling and there are a lot of places to go after the game for drinks and snacks. I like Toast Enoteca and have had good pizza at Bar Basic. Bubs @ the Ballpark but there are so many places. If a place is too busy I'd just move on. I don't think any are worth waiting for.

http://goo.gl/maps/2y6qG

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Jolla Shores Trip coming up - suggestions

Hi,

A couple of things that would be helpful to know are 1) when are you coming and 2) how long will you be here?

Knowing that will allow us to tailor more specific recommendations for the time that you do have here. Specific dates help in case there are any festivals or special events.

Thanks,

Zed

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,771 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Jolla Shores Trip coming up - suggestions

<<<looks like we should be able to walk to places in LHS (sounds like parking is tough)>>>

I take it LHS is La Jolla Shores (LJS). You are only a few blocks away from Avenida de la Playa with a dozen or more restaurants (Piatti's, Sushi Mori, The Shores) and to Caroline's (at SIO campus). Regents Pizza requires a 10 minute drive since it is near University Town Center Mall. Besides the three restaurants in the village that you've mentioned, I'd add Nine-Ten (pricey), and my favorite, the Prep Kitchen. Puesto is a more casual Chipotle-style place.

You are just over a mile and a half from the La Jolla Cove and the Children's Pool. You could drive the distance and park, or you could walk, which I often do.

The only thing about swimming at LJS that you should know about is the rip tides. Learn how to get out of it (swim parallel to the shore).

Other things to do at LJS: kayak, take a surf lesson or stand-up paddle board lesson, snorkel, rent bicycles and ride around LJ.

If you have a chance and if the weather is clear, drive up to Mount Soledad for a 360º view of the city.

Edited: 30 July 2013, 04:21
La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,771 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Jolla Shores Trip coming up - suggestions

Oh, yes, do the stingray shuffle when you get into the water.

You can walk to the aquarium from where you are. It should be about a 15 minute walk (uphill), but you can walk through the Scripps Institute of Oceanography campus (SIO) and across the bridge. I love the stairs and the landscaping of the campus. You can get a great view from the top of the cliffs.

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Jolla Shores Trip coming up - suggestions

I would add Whiskenladle (same owner as Prep Kitchen but this restaurant is quite a bit larger and more livelier) and for a dramatic view--even if you only decide to have a cocktail in lieu of dinner--the upstairs deck at Eddie V's is amazing. Both of these places are in the main village of La Jolla.

Indiana
Level Contributor
243 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Jolla Shores Trip coming up - suggestions

Great ideas folks. We'll be there from 8/4 - 8/19. Will blue jeans work in most of these places? Appreciate the help everyone!

Indiana
Level Contributor
243 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La Jolla Shores Trip coming up - suggestions

And yes, my bad, la jolla shores.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,240 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: La Jolla Shores Trip coming up - suggestions

You have left out my 2 favorites in La Jolla Shores which are walkable for you .

They are Trattoria Rustica (which reminds me of Italy much more than Piatti) and Barbarossa almost next door.

I'd take a walk when you are there and just look at menus to see if they appeal to you .

You can wear what you please here!

We are a VERY informal city! You will see folks in everything from shorts to jeans to slacks so be comfy!

It is your vacation!

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,771 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: La Jolla Shores Trip coming up - suggestions

Riff M, I think you mean Barbarella, not Barbarossa, in LJS! One of my favorites too. I personally don't care too much for Trattoria Rustica because it is so noisy (too much tile?), but the food is good.

Although we are a very informal city, I see more and more women on weekend evenings in the village of LJ who dress to impress, especially at Amaya and Herringbone. But in general, casual chic (jeans and a clean shirt ;) will be fine.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,240 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: La Jolla Shores Trip coming up - suggestions

Sorry! You are right! I got my Barbarella/rossa's mixed up!

IF we sit outside at Trattoria then there is no noise and if we go at odd times when they are not crowded then we can sit inside. I like the food!

We stopped considering Piatti as an "Italian" restaurant after one visit when I noticed meatloaf on the menu.