We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torrey Pines State reserve for toddlers?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Torrey Pines State reserve for toddlers?

Are there easy hikes at Torrey Pines for toddlers??

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Torrey Pines State reserve for toddlers?

The trails are all fairly short (less than a mile), and I've seen many families with toddlers there. Depending on their stamina, they might be able to walk almost all the way to the beach (Beach Trail), but be prepared to carry your toddler. There is a staircase at the end of the Beach Trail leading to the beach. Some trails are steeper than others and may have steps. The easiest and shortest trail is the Guy Fleming Trail (0.7 mile loop) where you can see the Torrey pines as well as some ocean views.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
623 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Torrey Pines State reserve for toddlers?

I've hiked with my kids there as toddlers many times. The trails are short and the elevation gain is only about 300 feet. A fun trail is to park in the parking lot at the entrance (or for free along the highway) and do the Beach Trail over and back down to the beach. You then hike back to the parking lot on the beach. Though you need to pay attention to the tides. The beach here may be underwater at high tide. The Guy Fleming trail is likely the shortest out and back.

Most of the trails are perfectly safe for kids/toddlers but be careful as you get close to the bluffs. May need to hold onto your kids for a bit there.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Torrey Pines State reserve for toddlers?

steveprez, just to clarify, do you park at the highway (or parking lot at the beach), hike UP the hill on TP Park Road toward the visitor center and hike the Beach Trail to the beach? IMHO that would be a pretty big hike for a toddler, especially going up the steep hill. Unless the OP carries their child or the child is a particularly strong hiker (which a toddler by definition is not), I would not recommend it.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,518 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Torrey Pines State reserve for toddlers?

To hike up the hill would be too much uphill hiking for a small child, in my opinion. If you want to hike amidst the trees at the top, pay the day use parking fee to park up there ($10) and hike the short, easy Guy Fleming Trail. Then drive back down to the beach parking lot and park there to go to the beach.

Also consider going to Torrey Pines Glider Port, which has free parking (on dirt) and the same sweeping views as the State Reserve has, and sometimes hang gliders, but there are no trees at the Glider Port.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
623 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Torrey Pines State reserve for toddlers?

Perhaps my kids are more energetic but we've done that hike many times (including the hill) while they were toddlers. We live very close and a TPSR was a common weekend hike for us. Went back and looked at my pics from that time. I remember the hill being slow going when they were very young but doable.

That said, if the definition of toddler is ages one to three, then I'd agree that for those at the younger part of the range, the hill might be too difficult. There's always the option of parking at the top as sunriseSD points out. Either way, it's definitely worth getting to TPSR.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Torrey Pines State reserve for toddlers?

What is a toddler exactly? My kids have been walking up the hill from the parking lot since they were little. Just did the walk with my three year old niece a couple weeks ago. She was less tired than me. The kids really like the trail down to the beach. Take your time, it isn't a race.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Torrey Pines State reserve for toddlers?

<<<What is a toddler exactly?>>>

The dictionary definition is "A young child who is just beginning to walk."

My children, and now my grandchildren, have also been walking up that hill since they were small. My almost three year old grandchild can make it up the hill, although it is slow going. She started walking at 13 months, so she is no longer considered a toddler (according to the dictionary). :)

The OP should just be aware that it is a steep hill.

8. Re: Torrey Pines State reserve for toddlers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2014, 06:18