We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To see sea lion in La Jolla

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
To see sea lion in La Jolla

I heard there is a chance that you may not see any sea lions in La Jolla, is this true? We will visit La Jolla in late September, what is the chance we can see the sea lions?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
26,416 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: To see sea lion in La Jolla

I think they are mainly Seals, but if you go to the Children's Cove at La Jolla there is a great chance (should I say 100% chance?) you will see them. Ive never been there there aren't any there.

I see Sea Lions in San Diego Bay all of the time, if you take the SEAL tour they will take you out to the bait barges where there are hundreds of Sea Lions.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,945 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To see sea lion in La Jolla

The sea lions will be on the rocks sunning themselves just south of the cave store.

The seals that swim in the children's pool have been chased away during the day by people sunning on the beach or by snorkelers/swimmers in the water. They usually come back when the people go home.

I imagine by late September there will be fewer people around and so the seals will likely be back.

I wouldn't worry about it too much!

Edited: 23 August 2013, 14:54
La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,909 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To see sea lion in La Jolla

Just keep in mind that there is a difference between harbor seals and California sea lions. We have both.

<<<but if you go to the Children's Cove at La Jolla there is a great chance (should I say 100% chance?) you will see them. Ive never been there there aren't any there.>>>

In summer there are often ZERO seals on the beach, mainly because of people. You may see a few seals sunning themselves a couple hundred feet north of the Children's Pool on Seal Rock and there may be some in the water waiting for people to leave the beach. But as Riff M said, they will return in the evenings, and in September they will very likely be on the beach for much of the day.

You will see the sea lions in the La Jolla Cove for sure. You can't miss them. Don't worry, they aren't going anywhere, and they have multiplied in the past five years.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,565 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To see sea lion in La Jolla

The last time we were at the Children's Pool, the beach there was full of people, and there were no sea lions on the beach, but there were a couple of them swimming around in the water in front of the beach. At La Jolla Cover, there are almost always sea lions on the rocks at both ends of the cove. The closest spot to view them from is the sidewalk above the rocks at the west end of the cove.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,198 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To see sea lion in La Jolla

If you take the Harbor Tour North (1 hr) you will see lots of sea lions sunning themselves on the bait barges as you near the Pt Loma lighthouse.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: To see sea lion in La Jolla

This is the link to the Seal Cam at the Children's Pool. http://friendsofcp.com/seal-cam/

I just looked and it said temporarily down. Don't know how long. I read a report a while back that some perv hacked it and was using it to look at the women in their bathing suits. That should end soon. The San Diego paper is reporting that Mayor Filner is resigning.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,172 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To see sea lion in La Jolla

If you can't see the sea lions is San Diego you could go to the sea shore where Suzie sells sea shells by the sea.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To see sea lion in La Jolla

I think the Seal Cam was on the Lifeguard station, which has been torn down.

lajollalight.com/2013/…

As for the Mayor, yes, he has agreed to resign. I want to say a lot more, but not the proper place to do it.

9. Re: To see sea lion in La Jolla

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 06:22