We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night in la jolla and 4 nights in Coronado

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
115 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
One night in la jolla and 4 nights in Coronado

Hi everyone,

I am all set with planning the later part of our vacation for Palm Springs with the help of experts from TA, so thankful for all of you! Now, I am planning for San Diego and planning to stay for one night at la jolla and based the remaining of our stay of 4 nights in Coronado. We will be driving down from LA and will stop by on some places on the way(haven't iron out the details yet). My question is it a good idea to stay one night in la Jolla at all or should I just based entirely at Coronado? In La jolla, we will be visiting the LJ Cove and maybe go for kayaking, Torrey Pines glider port, Torrey pines reserve, dining and some window shopping. Is one day enough for all these? Driving from LA early morning on Dec 28 to La jolla. Thank you!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24,498 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: One night in la jolla and 4 nights in Coronado

I wouldnt bother with the one night in La Jolla. Normally you cant check in until the afternoon and then need to check out by 11am or 12pm. Changing hotels is a pain.

Ill still stop and do what you want to do in La Jolla and then continue on to Coronado and check in at the hotel you plan on staying at there. If there is more to do in La Jolla that you want to go back to its only a 25 minute drive from Coronado to do so.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,719 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night in la jolla and 4 nights in Coronado

La Jolla and Coronado are about 20 min. apart.

I don't see the point of staying 1 night and then changing hotels.

I am wondering what your thinking might be when you thought of doing that?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
115 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night in la jolla and 4 nights in Coronado

Good beer! thank you for your advice.

Riff M, thank you..... my thinking was we are driving down from LA and stopping along the way and visiting around la Jolla might have our days full and just spend the night in la jolla as we might need to continue to explore the area the next day.

Edited: 03 October 2013, 15:27
Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One night in la jolla and 4 nights in Coronado

Hi Jasmine - really depends on the pace you want to travel and the hassle of moving. If its just 2 of you traveling light - stopping in La Jolla to take it all in - staying the night is fine - especially if the La Jolla stop is mid-week. Weekend rates tend to be significantly higher. Quite a few nice places to have a relaxing breakfast on the patio watching the ocean break along the cliffs.

Keep in mind that your travel time period is generally a very cold time of year at the beach. Probably warmer than New York, but all the same, pretty cold - so bring warmer clothes - warmer than you would use in Palm Springs.

There's quite a few very nice places to stay in La Jolla that have fireplaces - nice touch when there's only 2 of you! We've stayed at the Grand and loved it as well as Torrey Pines Lodge. We regularly take trips into La Jolla or Coronado for a 1 nighter to get away from the stresses of life here.

If you are traveling between PS and La Jolla, most certainly, you'll pass by Temecula. Stop by and take a look around our wine country - sample a couple of wines and enjoy our warm weather before heading to the coast - which is about an hour from here.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
115 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One night in la jolla and 4 nights in Coronado

Meadowlark, your advice is very helpful. With so much great reviews on la jolla, I felt like I want to take it all in and hence the one night stay. Breakfast with views of the ocean hit the right spot!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,719 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One night in la jolla and 4 nights in Coronado

Jasmine, I understand your thoughts better now! It is certainly possible that you may drive down and be in the La Jolla area for long enough that you don't feel like driving even a little farther that day. There is definitely a contrast between the coves and cliffs of La Jolla and the wide white sandy beach with dunes that you'll find in Coronado.

We also take local staycations even though we live closer than Meadowlark and so I think you'll enjoy both spots!!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,172 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One night in la jolla and 4 nights in Coronado

I'd do 2 nights at each... So much to see and do in La Jolla that you can easily fill up a whole day there...

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One night in la jolla and 4 nights in Coronado

well, normally, i would discourage staying at a hotel for 1 night and then moving on to a close other choice. however, from your previous posts, it sounds like you don't mind moving around a lot. i'd get out of la early and enjoy the coastal road down. you could hit torry pines on the way to la jolla and maybe the glider port too. watch the sunset from the base of torry pines state park at the beach or at the glider port. sunset is early in december so then you could go check into your hotel and go for a late dinner (or ask for early checkin if you think you'll be getting there early afternoon). then you could explore the "village" of la jolla the next day.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,229 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One night in la jolla and 4 nights in Coronado

I think I'd split 2 nights La Jolla, 3 nights Coronado.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
115 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One night in la jolla and 4 nights in Coronado

Hey everyone, your ideas are all taken in! Thank you!

Ltttt, that's exactly what I would do! Thanks!

Scottca075, what else would I do in la jolla if I stay two nights? Any suggestion ? Anyone? Thanks!