We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pupdate from family visit

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
pupdate from family visit

yesterday was travel day with over 6 hours in a van with pups and girls and us- though it was shorter than that from Phoenix! They did not like the shortcut we took through Maricopa at all (shaking and carsick) so we will add on a bit and not do that again on the way back.

I got a second rental car here and headed straight to Fiesta Island with the pups which was fantastic- calm waters, other friendly pups to play with, and lots of walkers by that showered affection of my fury girls (who doesn't like a smiling playful golden?!?!). We the parasurfers did not get too close and where we were at there were only a couple of jet skiiers so that was nice. They both played and swam for over a couple of hours- so fun! Getting out of there was another story- there is some sort of softball/baseball event going on and the one way road took over an hour to exit and the west side was full of RVs with lots of drunk people walking around. I enjoy a good wine here and there but sheeze.... I'll still go back today or tomorrow if they don;t like the wave action at Dog beach, but wish I had know of an event going on. Did not have much time to research this trip!

We are in La Jolla- staying walking distance to the beach so this am went for a stroll right here- just back and forth and though it would be on leash- but we were the only ones with leashes! Where I am from on leash, means that or you get a $500 ticket. I did let them off and they had a blast- funny that they do the same as we do- run towards the wave and then run away from the foamy waves. Neither has seen the ocean before, and one is not a swimmer- in the pool anyway!

Next- on to Dog Beach and see how they like that!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,675 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pupdate from family visit

Hehe, You were in the midst of the international Over the Line Tournament which takes place this weekend and next weekend. It is quite a big deal with 1250 teams (give or take) from all over the world!!!

I would find another spot for the pups to play on the weekends!

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,831 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pupdate from family visit

There is also a dog beach in Del Mar. Now that the County Fair is over, the traffic won't be as bad. Just drive north along the coast on the Camino del Mar/101 just south of Via de la Valle.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pupdate from family visit

they LOVED dog beach! How cool to see your introverted sweet submissive puppy of 8 years leap into waves like a seal- and the puppy of 1 year was seriously non stop leaping into and riding the waves! Will she still like our pool at home?

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
324 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: pupdate from family visit

Yea I don't think you'll find a Golden or a Lab that doesn't like water ... Golden's are amazing dogs. I know there are quite a few "dog beaches" in the San Diego area (compared to Los Angeles) ... a friend took her dog to the one on Coronado Island ... Which was a huge hit with the dog!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pupdate from family visit

Sorry about you getting caught up in the OTL chaos. But it sounds like your pups had a great time.

Oh it is so good to hear about how much they love dog beach! A place where my sisters dogs love so much and have been going their whole lives.

Unfortunately, only one left now. A beautiful Golden who is surviving a cancer to her face. My sister and her husband are actually planning a vacation next month where they are going to drive all the way to Washington and stop along the way so she can swim to her hearts content at many beaches. She hasn't been in the water for about 3 months now and is very sad. It's amazing what we'll do for our 4 legged family members!

Have a good rest of your stay!!

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pupdate from family visit

Another great addition to the weekend activities-we had so much fun at the free concert at Scripts Park- Rockola was really good and such a great way to spend a day in the sun- especially when it's only about 80 degrees! we brought a couple of lawn chairs which my girls used, but mostly my hubby and I danced and I walked the pups all around the area- such a gorgeous setting. I would do that in a heartbeat! I cut up the sashimi and toasted sesame seeds then added soy and wasabi for my lunch- best homemade poke ever! (practicing for maui next month) and cooking the mac nut halibut for all of us for an app (it's only half lb)- then going to the store for goods for grilled fish tacos for later to add to the mahi mahi I got at the fishery. Very much enjoying our stay!

7. Re: pupdate from family visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 07:17