We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel in La Jolla for a family of 4?

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best hotel in La Jolla for a family of 4?

My husband, two boys (ages 5 and 3) and myself will be visiting La Jolla next week. We've been to SD before and saw all the attractions (Zoo, SeaWorld, LEGOLAND, etc.) and are looking to have a more beach/pool/relaxing type stay this time.

Right now we are booked at the Kimpton hotel as it seemed it was walking distance to the beach and in the town of La Jolla. However I'm feeling uneasy about the reviews I'm reading and considering changing our accommodations.

Would love recommendations for a family friendly hotel that is a walkable distance to the beach, the town and as a plus, also has a good pool area...and if you don't think we can get all these things within a reasonable price range (no more than $250/night), happy to hear other recommendations that are close by and work for families.

Thanks!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,172 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hotel in La Jolla for a family of 4?

Hotel La Jolla (Klimpton) is within walking distance of La Jolla Shores, a large beach popular for swimming, surfing, boogie boarding, bodysurfing, etc. It is also the starting area for sea kayak trips around La Jolla Bay. That is the only beach that your hotel is within walking distance of. All other beaches you’d have to drive to.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hotel in La Jolla for a family of 4?

Thank you for the information about the beach - that works for us! Would you say we are also walking distance to the town/restaurants?

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hotel in La Jolla for a family of 4?

Would the La Jolla Shores Hotel be a good choice?

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hotel in La Jolla for a family of 4?

It's booked :(

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24,498 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best hotel in La Jolla for a family of 4?

<<<Would you say we are also walking distance to the town/restaurants?>>>

Most of the restaurants and shopping are in La Jolla Village which is a little over a mile away, there are some restaurants in La Jolla shores which as you know is walking distance.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,784 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best hotel in La Jolla for a family of 4?

>>However I'm feeling uneasy about the reviews I'm reading and considering changing our accommodations.<<

I stayed at the LJ Kimpton a couple of years ago, and liked it very much, although I think of it as a hotel for couples or singles rather than a family. However, every time I walk by there, I do see families.

At the time I stayed there they had just renovated and everything was shiny and new. I checked the new TA reviews, and saw that there were indeed a couple bad reviews, mostly having to do with poor housekeeping.

If I were you, I would get in touch with the general manager Shannon as soon as possible and voice your concerns. I'm sure she will try to accommodate you in a great room.

As far as walking to the beach goes, it is only half a mile from the beach. There are also more than a dozen restaurants wihin 1/4 mile from the hotel on the way to the beach.

Edited: 31 July 2014, 17:05
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best hotel in La Jolla for a family of 4?

Thank you ElleLaJolla - I really appreciate the feedback!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best hotel in La Jolla for a family of 4?

As I recall the Hotel La Jolla also offers shuttle service during the day to the La Jolla village area. I believe you just have to call the front desk.

9. Re: Best hotel in La Jolla for a family of 4?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2015, 06:15